Installation on Windows (I don't know what to do at all)

Alex Yergeau

Dec 10, 2017, 3:30:43 PM12/10/17
to AtoM Users
Hi, I am really bad with computer stuff and I'm trying to install AtoM on my computer to help me in my work in archival description. I do not know how to install it and its requirements, I also do not know most of the requirements and how to use them either... I do not know if I just need them to be there, open them and do something with them, etc. If you know how to make it work and you have some spare time, please help me, the help would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance.

Dan Gillean

Dec 11, 2017, 11:12:23 AM12/11/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Alex,

I want to mention upfront that AtoM is designed as production-ready software for archival institutions - meaning, it is intended to be installed on a server, not a laptop or home computer. This is why the instructions assume a certain basic level of technical proficiency - they assume that the user has a server (or access to a server), and someone who understands how to install software on it, who can maintain the application if you need to upgrade or run into technical issues down the line. AtoM is also not easily installed on Windows servers - it was developed against a Linux distribution (Ubuntu) and generally we recommend that if you are going to install AtoM on a Windows server, the easiest solution is to install it as a virtual machine - that is, install a Linux Ubuntu virtual appliance on your Windows server, and then install AtoM inside that.

However, if you are just looking for a test instance you can easily set up on a home computer (including Windows), you might want to try out our Vagrant box. The easiest instructions for installing it are found in these slides:
Please understand that this Vagrant box version of AtoM is NOT meant to be a permanent installation where you keep your data or with which run your public site - it is intended for local testing and development only!

You'll have to install Vagrant and Virtualbox on your computer first, and if you are a Windows user, you will also have to install PuTTY. After that, the slides should walk you through the set up and update process.

You will also have to use the command-line a little bit to get set up. If that's totally new to you, you might find the following slides interesting - they will introduce you to command-line basics on Linux/Unix computers. Note that some commands are the same on Windows and some are different (there are a lot of resources out there for Windows console commands too), but these will help you for any part of the instructions inside PuTTY - and maintaining AtoM after you install. See:
There are also some parts in the later parts of the Vagrant slides where, to update the AtoM Vagrant box, you will need to run some of AtoM's command-line tasks. If you would like to learn more about what they do, why we run them, and how to execute them, you can look at these slides:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Alex Yergeau <flammin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I am really bad with computer stuff and I'm trying to install AtoM on my computer to help me in my work in archival description. I do not know how to install it and its requirements, I also do not know most of the requirements and how to use them either... I do not know if I just need them to be there, open them and do something with them, etc. If you know how to make it work and you have some spare time, please help me, the help would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance.

Eric Deumo

Jan 4, 2019, 9:06:39 AM1/4/19
to AtoM Users
Hello.
This answer dates from 2017. I suppose, however, that in the meantime, there have been changes.
Has anyone finally been able to install ATOM correctly on Windows?
If so, please tell us how you proceeded.
Thank you in advance.

Gomes Silva

Jan 4, 2019, 9:22:39 AM1/4/19
to AtoM Users
I installed it using WAMP server and everything worked correctly except for the OCR functionality.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/mia4QWHrvUg/7dKSRdh3tfIJ

However this was in 2015, but it means it is definitely possible to install and run AtoM on Windows.

I have to say that, if you can use a VM software like Virtualbox or Hyper-V, there's no real advantage on trying because following this instructions (https://www.accesstomemory.org/pt/docs/2.4/admin-manual/installation/linux/ubuntu-xenial/) will be much easier, believe me.

Dan Gillean

Jan 4, 2019, 10:50:02 AM1/4/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Eric,

Gomes is correct; nothing fundamental has changed about the way we develop and maintain AtoM, and the best way to install on a Windows server is still to use virtualization.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.