Updates to Installation Documentation

Katie Punia

Aug 3, 2023, 1:50:45 PM8/3/23
to AtoM Users
Hello everyone,

We have updated our AtoM documentation surrounding Ngnix configurations. Should those supporting their own installation of AtoM wish to view the changes to the documentation please see the following:

Warmly,
Katie

Katie Punia (she/her)
Systems Archivist

Mohamed vall

Aug 3, 2023, 5:14:50 PM8/3/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hello every one , I still can’t use Atom every time with every guide I follow this is my problem I use virtuel box  I just want to use atom with Linux wathever a Linux version

IT

gomes...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2023, 5:17:45 AM8/4/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

Thank you very much for the update. Speaking of Nginx configurations, what is the best way to configure CSP Nonce Script & Style Attribute in AtoM?
Are there any instructions available for that, such as how to generate a nonce value and load a script in combination with the 'strict-dynamic' source?

Thank you for your support!

Dan Gillean

Aug 4, 2023, 9:12:52 AM8/4/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gomes and Mohamed,

Gomes:

I have asked one of our developers if they can respond to your Nginx configuration question. More soon, hopefully!

Mohamed:

Are you attempting to install AtoM on a personal computer, like a laptop or desktop computer?

AtoM is intended to be installed and run on a server, so it can be made accessible on the public web. If you are trying to install AtoM on a personal computer for testing or development purposes, I would suggest that you try our Vagrant box, as it is generally much easier to install regardless of what operating system you are using on your host computer. See:
In the meantime, if you want to try to resolve this issue:

Any time you encounter an error, the first thing we generally recommend that you check the webserver logs. Normally, if you follow our recommended installation instructions, then you can access the Nginx error logs with:
If you followed our recommended installation instructions inside your Virtualbox environment, and that command is successful in showing you the error logs, then please share any message you find there.

Additionally, to be able to help you further, we could use more information about your installation. For example:
Hopefully with more information, we can offer more suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mohamed vall

Aug 7, 2023, 7:20:25 AM8/7/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
 I just to try this on my virtuel box
https://youtu.be/qdlCN6JpQQM but with Ubuntu debian

--
IT

Dan Gillean

Aug 8, 2023, 8:24:54 AM8/8/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohamed,

The video you have shared is 5 years old  - I don't recommend using the versions shown here anymore, as we have released several new versions of AtoM since that include many security patches, bug fixes, and other improvements.

 Please see my reply to your other post, here:
Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mohamed vall

Aug 9, 2023, 11:58:59 AM8/9/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Can I use in my virtuelbox a server image and anstall it with atom and use it ?
--
IT

Dan Gillean

Aug 9, 2023, 12:18:06 PM8/9/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

It depends on what you mean by this. Can you run a server image in VirtualBox and then follow our installation instructions from there? Yes, provided that the operating system version is compatible - i.e. using an Ubuntu 20.04 base image for installing AtoM 2.7.x is recommended, because this is what we test and write documentation for.

Can you do this on a personal computer (like a laptop or desktop) as a way of setting up a publicly accessible AtoM instance? I would STRONGLY recommend against this. Remember to check the technical requirements documentation - at minimum, your VirtualBox should have 7GB RAM, 2 vCPU, 50GB storage, etc allocated, as described here. More importantly, you must never turn this personal device off if you are treating it as a public-facing server.

So, if you are trying to create a production ready instance for public use: get a server, or consider using a hosting service instead. Artefactual offers a number of hosting plans:
If you are just trying to create a local test or development instance - then yes, this approach could work, but you will have a much easier time using our pre-configured Vagrant box with VirtualBox instead of manually installing everything yourself. See:
We also have slides about Vagrant: some of the PHP commands are out of date on these slides, so use those found in the 2.7 documentation instead (like here), but these provide a good general overview:
Hope that helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mohamed vall

Aug 10, 2023, 11:33:50 AM8/10/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again I tried to install atom with vagrant and virtuelbox but it didn’t work ,

--
IT

Dan Gillean

Aug 11, 2023, 9:23:38 AM8/11/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohamed,

I'm sorry you are having difficulties with this! I am not sure what the issue is - when I enter that URL (https://vagrantcloud.com/artefactual/atom) into my browser it (does redirect, but) resolves properly to our box in the Vagrant cloud:
When you ran the command vagrant init artefactual/atom, did it successfully place a Vagrantfile in your chosen directory? If yes, can you open the file with a text editor? It will have a lot of commented out text, but it should include this:

artefactual-atom-vagrantfile.png
And the very bottom of the file should include an end. Does your Vagrantfile look like this?

Is your computer connected to the internet? it needs to be able to fetch the box from the Vagrant Cloud. Is this a work computer that might have additional security restrictions placed on it, by any chance?

Can you tell me what is output when you run the following commands?
  • vagrant version
  • vboxmanage --version
Our Maintainers are away this week, but hopefully next week I can follow up with them and get you more information. Sorry about that! In the meantime, any additional information you can provide will help us provide better suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Steve Breker

Aug 15, 2023, 12:38:38 PM8/15/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Gomes

Adding CSP header capability to AtoM is an interesting topic and we are currently looking into this to see what it would take to put in place. I expect an AtoM CSP header implementation would target AtoM's Bootstrap 5 based themes as these themes will have greatly reduced inline scripts and styles.

Steve

Steven Breker
Artefactual Systems