Running AtoM2.4 against MySQL 8?

shay....@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2021, 10:53:06 PM9/6/21
to AtoM Users
Hi...

Whilst I realise it's not a supported configuration, wondering if anyone might have insight into compatibility issues of running AtoM2.4 against a MySQL 8 database?

We'd like to transition to better bang per buck Gravitar based AWS RDS instances but they only support MySQL 8. (Any performance improvements due to MySQL 8 would also be a bonus!)

Thanks,
Shay

Dan Gillean

Sep 7, 2021, 9:01:07 AM9/7/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Shay,

I expect that you would run into compatibility issues with older versions.

We have implemented support for MySQL 8 in AtoM 2.6.x, so if upgrading is an option, that will be your best bet. There are some performance gains added there that will not work for older versions - MySQL 8 supports CTE (i.e. WITH queries), and we have reworked some of the more expensive database queries to make use of these recursive queries in 2.6, but this required application code changes.

MySQL 8 also uses a different character encoding and a different authentication method out of the box. These things may be configurable for backwards compatibility, but you'll need to figure out the proper configuration and then do a LOT of testing to confirm there are not unexpected issues. As I said, if you can upgrade this will be your best option - you'll also get additional features, other performance enhancements, bug fixes, and security patches by doing so!

If for some reason upgrading is not an option, then I'd suggest comparing the installation instructions between 2.4 and 2.6 to see some of the differences, and reading up on character encoding, authentication, and SQL mode options in MySQL8.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.