Automated backup script (terminal)

EdderShredder

Jul 4, 2018, 10:18:49 AM7/4/18
to AtoM Users
Hello.

As we await the 2.5 release I was wondering if anyone had any input on a script or method to backup the sql in terminal at regular intervals.
And maybe then upload it to the cloud?

I may not be around in our org to continue doing this weekly.

Thanks.
Ed.

Dan Gillean

Jul 7, 2018, 5:21:25 AM7/7/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ed,

I've checked with our team and unfortunately we don't have any automated backup scripts in our public deployment tools at the moment. However, if you have ever worked with cron, I think it should be possible to create a backup script and execute it on a nightly or weekly basis using cron. Here's an intro to cron I found - there are likely many more online:
I can tell you that the two most important things to backup are:
  • The MySQL database (where all AtoM user-entered data is stored)
  • The uploads directory (where digital object uploads, as well as repository logos and banners, are stored)
  • You may also want to back up the downloads directory as well (where user generated finding aids, cached XML, and reports are stored)
The upgrade docs provide the basics of manually backing these up - see:
I'm not a developer and haven't worked with cron, so I can't offer guidance there. There may also be more efficient and reliable ways to do this in an automated fashion. However, if no one else from the community replies with a script they can share, at least this should point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

EdderShredder

Jul 9, 2018, 9:25:41 AM7/9/18
to AtoM Users
Thank you Dan.

I was looking at Cron and other methods.

I may set up Winscp/Putty scripts to create and download the required files from the server.
This will require the script to generate a date before the filename, ("$date"archives.sql) wait a few seconds for sql generation, then switch to file browsing and download/synchronize everything.

Ricardo Pinho

Jul 9, 2018, 3:30:52 PM7/9/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ed.
For MySQL database backup I'm using this fantastic script: AutoMySQLbackup

To install it on your Ubuntu Srv 16.04 just:

cd /usr/local/bin

sudo wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/files/AutoMySQLBackup/AutoMySQLBackup%20VER%203.0/automysqlbackup-v3.0_rc6.tar.gz

sudo tar zxf automysqlbackup-v3.0_rc6.tar.gz

sudo ./install.sh

Ricardo Pinho