Digital objects for videos

Innocent Oling

Oct 20, 2021, 10:08:24 AM10/20/21
to AtoM Users
Hi, can I get an assistance on uploading video that displays in AtoM. I have uploaded some as attached below.
Capture.PNG

Dan Gillean

Oct 20, 2021, 12:11:00 PM10/20/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Can you provide a bit more information about both your AtoM installation, the digital objects, and how you have tried to upload them? This will help us provide better suggestions.

About the installation:
  • What is the full AtoM version shown in Admin > Settings > Global at the top of the page?
  • Have you followed our recommended installation instructions for that version? If no, what changes have you made?
  • Have you recently upgraded your AtoM installation from a different version?
  • Have you customized any of the user group permissions? E.g. administrators, authenticated, anonymous, etc.
About the digital objects:
  • Are you uploading these via the user interface, via an import, or via a command-line task?
  • If via the user interface, are you using the single "Link digital object" option, or the "Upload digital objects" multi-uploader?
  • Are these local digital object files, or are you linking via URL to external videos?
  • If you are linking via URL, have you confirmed that the URL meets all the requirements for remote digital object linking?
    • The URL must be publicly accessible on the web - no password prompts, firewalls, VPNs, etc
    • The URL must point directly to the digital object - i.e. it must end in the file extension (such as .mp4, .avi, etc). Using something like a YouTube link will not work
    • The URL must use HTTP or HTTPS - FTP, SFTP, and local shared drive links will not work
  • Does it look the same for authenticated (i.e. logged in) users as it does for public users?
  • Have you added any PREMIS Rights statements to the related descriptions?
  • Can you visit the related description and see the reference display image, or is that also a default icon? Can you click through to see the master/original digital object?
Hopefully with more information, we can provide further suggestions! In the meantime, one thing you can try is regenerating the derivatives. We have a command-line task for this, described in our documentation here:
The task includes a number of options that should help you limit it so you don't need to regenerate all derivatives - an example:
  • php symfony digitalobject:regen-derivatives --media-type="video" --type="thumbnail" --slug="example fonds"
With these options, only the thumbnails for a video attached to a description with the slug of example-fonds would be re-generated.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.