(AtoM 2.3) full-width treeview

David

Apr 22, 2016, 7:51:09 AM4/22/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi,

the full-width treeview will get unusable without some kind of pagination after a certain amount of entries? Please correct me if I am wrong but a component loading and displaying all available data at once can be a problem? Or am I doing something wrong?
I thought I've read that some treeview enhancements relating this loading issue are already planned but now I can't find such a posting (forum/ticket) any more.

Regards,
David

Dan Gillean

Apr 22, 2016, 1:55:01 PM4/22/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi David,

Yes, the full-width treeview will definitely run into issues in its current format, when viewing larger hierarchies. If the hierarchy is large enough, it may fail to load at all. In this initial development, the full-width treeview is most suitable for small-to-medium sized hierarchies.

This is kind of a perfect example of our comunity-driven development model in action. The current implementation of the full-width treeview meets the needs of the client who sponsored it - they did not have the budget for further scalability testing and enhancements. Our user community has been asking about treeview enhancements in AtoM since our ICA-AtoM 1.2 release - you can see some of this in our historical wiki documentation, here. This implementation meets many of the requirements that came out of those conversations, but there any many more improvements and enhancements that could be made. Our hope is that other users will help improve upon the full-width treeview in subsequent releases - adding scalability enhancements such as lazy loading or pagination, adding further functionality, adding configuration options (such as whether or not the identifier is displayed), etc. Since the initial development has already been sponsored by 2 institutions, we're hoping it will become easier for a broader set of institutions to contribute smaller but essential improvements. In this way, the new feature can become iteratively improved over time without one institution or individual having to shoulder the entire cost before anything is publicly available.

The regular treeview will still be available - there is a configuration option for choosing the treeview in the settings. So we encourage each user to test the full-width treeview across a wide variety of holdings, to check on the performance before enabling it on a production site. For those institutions excited about the full-width treeview but running into performance problems - we hope you might consider sponsoring enhancements, or submitting pull requests?

Note that we already have at least one client who has expressed active interest in this development - so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see at least *some* scalability enhancements included in the 2.4 release.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

José Anjos

Aug 12, 2016, 6:54:17 AM8/12/16
to AtoM Users
Hi.
I'm having a strange problem with full-width treeview type. It works with logged users but not with not logged users.
It keeps loading but nothing appears..
Its was working OK for about 2 weeks and suddenly stopped. Can't see nothing on logs. I've cleared cache, restart the server but no success
Thanks

Jesús García Crespo

Aug 12, 2016, 11:16:22 AM8/12/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Try opening the browser console to see if there are client-side errors.

Thanks,

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

José Anjos

Aug 16, 2016, 4:06:43 AM8/16/16
to AtoM Users
Hi. I have this message:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'children' of undefined
_append_json_data@jstree.min.js:2
_load_node@jstree.min.js:2
load_node@jstree.min.js:2
init@jstree.min.js:2
init@jstree.min.js:4
e.jstree.create@jstree.min.js:2
(anonymous function)@jstree.min.js:2
each@jquery.js:2
each@jquery.js:2
e.fn.jstree@jstree.min.js:2
(anonymous function)@fullWidthTreeView.js:71
l@jquery.js:2
fireWith@jquery.js:2
T@jquery.js:2
r@jquery.js:2

Thank you

Gomes Silva

Aug 16, 2016, 12:32:59 PM8/16/16
to AtoM Users
Hello,

I think that "Loading..." problem will occur for non-logged users if there is at least one "draft" description between levels.

Fonds (published)
   Series (published)
        Process (draft)
              Item (published)

If there's a single "hidden" (inaccessible) object between two levels the tree won't present the hierarchy.

Dan Gillean

Aug 16, 2016, 2:42:19 PM8/16/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

I believe that Gomes is correct - thanks for sharing! We have the following warning in the AtoM documentation mentioning this issue:

It is possible to break the full-width treeview in AtoM by publishing child descriptions of a draft parent. For example, publishing all items within a series, and then making the parent series record draft again (but not the children). In this case, the fullwidth treeview will not load. The sidebar treeview will still load, displaying the draft parent node (e.g. the series) in the tree - public users will get a “Permission denied” message if trying to access the draft record. It is up to you as a user to ensure you are not making contradictory publication status updates that will break the treeview. For more information on the treeview in AtoM, see: Treeview and Treeview type.

It might be possible to undertake development to make the treeview fail more gracefully - e.g. if a child is published but the parent is draft, do not show the parent. However, this would take further investigation and development to undertake.

Would it be useful if I copied this same warning to the section of documentation explaining the full-width treeview?

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

José Anjos

Aug 17, 2016, 4:09:14 AM8/17/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Ok, very interesting. Maybe it would useful if you copied this same warning to the section of documentation but I'm not sure... because when users (like me) search for problems or errors, usually we search it here on the forum. On documentation we look more for instructions and not problems.
Thank you for the explanation.

José  Anjos