Sinead Keogh

Sep 26, 2023, 11:04:28 AM9/26/23
to AtoM Users
Hi,

We're migrating our material from our old AMS to AToM by CSV. How best can I add accession records and accruals?

I have added accessions and then updated the records with accrual information but it is not a true accrual because I have not created a new accession number.

If I add the accession and accrual information at the same time, can I link the two (similar to a parent-child relationship) on the csv?

Is there a better way of doing this? Is it even possible? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Sinéad

Dan Gillean

Sep 26, 2023, 12:40:46 PM9/26/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sinéad,

Unfortunately, at this time it's not possible to import accession records as accruals to an existing accession.

It's possible that you could import all your accessions and accruals using the standard accessions CSV template, and then use SQL to later make some accruals, but a) it might be a lot of queries to run for each record (i.e. find the object ID of the accrual accession record, find the object ID of the parent accession, update the table where they are related with the correct ID, repeat), and b) looking over the Entity Relationship Diagrams on our wiki, it wasn't as simple as having a parent_id field on the accession table, so I will need developer help to work out what tables are used to relate accruals to accessions, and how you might update them with SQL.

If those gotchas aren't fully off-putting, let me know and I will do what I can to try to get more info on a SQL-based option for you. Otherwise, you would need to manage some other clunky workaround like:
  • Import the base accessions and then manually enter all the accruals, or
  • Simply add something connecting the accrual to the accession in one of the description fields of each accession record and then just import them without relations
  • ???
Hopefully this is a feature we can revisit in a future release, as it's absolutely something that should be supported! In the meantime, let me know if you're interested in exploring the SQL route, and I will try to follow up here.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Sinéad Keogh

Sep 27, 2023, 8:23:12 AM9/27/23
to AtoM Users
Thanks Dan,

That's really helpful to know. I'm going to ask our archivists if they are happy with a work around. It might be enough to just have all the accrual data sitting on the accession record but then going forward create new accruals. If they decide to complicate my life, I will be back on to you.

Thanks again,
Sinéad