Export EAD 2002 XML #EAD #XML-export

Jorge Albornoz M.

Jul 17, 2023, 12:58:17 PM7/17/23
to AtoM Users
Hello everyone,

We are having problems exporting the funds to EAD 2002 XML format.
In the exported XML file, In the access points area, only the creator appears
and not the subject or authority record associated with that field.
We have reviewed the source code of the file that generates the XML
but without positive results.
I don't have the script to try through the command line

version atom 1.09 -32
I know, it's old but we are in the process of updating

Thanks :)

Dan Gillean

Jul 17, 2023, 2:17:31 PM7/17/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there Jorge,

First, I strongly encourage you to perform your upgrade BEFORE you do your EAD 2002 XML exports. We made many improvements to the EAD coverage and mappings since the 1.09  beta release (that's right, this was not even considered the first official release!) back in 2010. I suspect you will get much better exports from AtoM if you do so!

It is more complicated, but there is a method to upgrade from your version all the way to the most recent (version 2.7.3) release. We have detailed instructions for a system administrator available on our wiki here:
Beyond this suggestion, I can't really offer further advice on how to resolve export issues from such an old release. However, based on your comment here:

In the exported XML file, In the access points area, only the creator appears
and not the subject or authority record associated with that field.

I just wanted to clarify one thing:

Keep in mind that EAD 2002 XML will never embed a full authority record - there is a separate EAC-CPF XML standard for the export of authority records, which later versions of AtoM support (along with CSV, which is actually much better for data retention). In more recent versions of AtoM, you will be able to determine the following about a linked creator from an EAD export:
  • Their authorized form of name
  • The biographical or administrative history of the related creator
Here is a snippet from the EAD 2002 export of the following record in our 2.7.1 public demo site:

<origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
   <persname id="atom_73386_actor">Potter, Alexander Oberlander</persname>
</origination>
</did>
<bioghist id="md5-978af3911acb06c9f915b0954991104b" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
   <note>
   </note>
</bioghist>

See the source record and try exporting it yourself, here: https://demo.accesstomemory.org/alex-potter-fonds

Now, if I misunderstood and what you meant is that linked subject and name access points associated with your descriptions are not exporting, that does sound like a bug - but again, the only recourse to fix it will be to upgrade to a later version.

Best of luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Jorge Albornoz M.

Jul 17, 2023, 3:24:58 PM7/17/23
to AtoM Users
Hello dan, I was afraid that the only option was to update the version.
It took us a while to get out of the beta version, but we're on the right track.
We are at it now, your answer was very useful to us.

We will be counting when we are in version 2.7.

greetings from Chile!

thank you!