Darryl Friesen

Apr 19, 2023, 6:47:35 PM4/19/23
to AtoM Users
Can anyone tell me what the default version of npm/node is on Ubuntu 20, or tell me what version is required/supported for AtoM 2.7.x?

I'm trying to update our AtoM 2.6 install to 2.7 on a RHEL 8 machine (yes, I'm well aware of the hardships of not using Ubuntu, sadly) and the default version of npm on RHEL 8 seems to be too low. Running "npm install" yields the error "This version of npm is compatible with lockfileVersion@1, but package-lock.json was generated for lockfileVersion@2".

I have npm v10.24.0 but I can easily install any version between 10 and 18;  I'm just not sure what's supported.

Thanks!

- Darryl

Dan Gillean

Apr 20, 2023, 10:13:56 AM4/20/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darryl,

Very strange. According to at least 2 sources I checked online, the default node version installed by Ubuntu 20.04 is v10.19.0. When I fire up my local Vagrant box and run node -v, that is also what I get returned.

Is it possible there are breaking changes in later versions, and that you need to downgrade instead? I would be surprised if a minor version number had such a significant impact...

I have asked a few of our developers to check the node version in their installations. Beyond that, we may need to wait for further input, as the lead developer on the BS5 upgrade (and therefore most likely developer to be able to offer further guidance) is out of office this week. I'll report back when I hear more...

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Apr 20, 2023, 12:50:51 PM4/20/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Here's what I heard back from one of the Maintainers:

My dev environment uses v9.4.0 for npm and v18.9.1 for node.
I've also been able to successfully run and build using npm v8.19.3 and node v18.13.0.
I noticed that their error is for the lockfile version mismatch, so they should first delete the package-lock.json before trying to run npm install and see if that leads to success

I hope that is more helpful!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Darryl Friesen

Apr 20, 2023, 12:53:40 PM4/20/23
to AtoM Users
Thanks for quick reply Dan.  I think I may have found the issue -- my own inability to follow instructions.  :)

Our server is built using Puppet so I'm not following the install instructions step by step; Puppet is installing all the packages and tools.  It seems I neglected to install "n", and then failed to notice the error when I ran "sudo n stable".  Apparently that is a key step.  Installing "n"  and running "n stable" set my environment to npm 9.5.1 and node 18.16.0 and the subsequent "npm install" step now works without error.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

- Darryl