File access limitation

Nelson Adriazola

Apr 4, 2017, 11:21:55 AM4/4/17
to AtoM Users
Is there any way that files can not be downloaded

Dan Gillean

Apr 4, 2017, 11:46:44 AM4/4/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Nelson,

Can you please clarify what you mean, and what version of AtoM you are using?

If by files you mean digital objects (e.g. uploads such as images, audio, video, etc linked to archival descriptions), then there are a couple ways you can limit access to these.

The first is via the Permissions module. In Admin > Groups, the anonymous user is the public user - by default, access to the master digital object (i.e. the original upload) is restricted for public users, if the file is uploaded locally (rather than linked to a publicly available resource online). You can further restrict access to the thumbnail and reference image this way, but this would affect ALL public users and all digital objects. See:

You can also use the PREMIS rights module to add actionable rights to digital objects - so if you just want to restrict access to some of the digital objects, or have different restrictions based on the rights Basis you use and where you add them, you can do this too. There is a way to inherit rights, so if you have a collection with 100 item-level children that include digital objects, you can add the rights once at the top, and then inherit them to lower levels - either all levels, or just those with digital objects. See:

If you are talking about restricting access to description exports, such as the EAD XML export option, there is currently no way to do this without changing AtoM's code. Once a description is published (made visible to public users), they have the option of exporting the EAD XML, just as they could print their screen from the browser anyway.

Hope that helps! Check out the documentation links and let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Nelson Adriazola <nelson.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any way that files can not be downloaded

Dan Gillean

Apr 11, 2017, 11:15:38 AM4/11/17
to ICA-AtoM Users, Nelson Adriazola
Hi Nelson,

If you want to restrict access to digital objects, you can use the techniques I have shared in the previous message.

In terms of "massively transferring information from one storage unit to another" (as Google translates your question), this would depend on what you want to do, I guess - I would need more information. But you might want to look at our suggestions for upgrading - you can generate a sqldump of your database and use rsync to transfer your digital objects to a new location, such as a new installation or upgrade of AtoM. See:

Managing authority records in AtoM, especially in a multi-repository instance, is definitely an area where we could further improve AtoM. In our upcoming 2.4 version, we have made some improvements to the autcomplete fields, so it is harder to accidentally create a duplicate record of an existing name, place, etc. There will also be a way to link an authority record directly to an institution - to indicate the institution that is responsible for creating and maintaining the authority record. Other users in a multi-repository environment can still use the authority record, but only 1 institution may be linked as the maintainer. We hope in the future to add further ways to explore authority records using this information (such as a repository facet on the authority record browse page), which should lead to better management of them. In the meantime, it will require an administrator or site manager to be aware of existing authority records and monitor the site regularly for duplicates, etc.

Note that you CAN use the existing permissions module to control whether users or groups can create new authority records - so if you wanted the "Contributors" group to be able to link existing authority records to descriptions, but not create new ones, you could change the authority record permissions for the "Contributor" group so that Create is set to "Deny." Before you do this, you may want to read this post I made about the scalability and performance of the permissions module - so be sure to test your settings thoroughly:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Nelson Adriazola <nelson.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Muchas Gracias Dan por la respuesta, estoy utilizando la versión 2.2.0 de ATOM. Quizás no me exprese bien en inglés, disculpa.
Pero lo que necesito saber si se puede restringir un objeto digital para que no pueda ser bajado a través de ATOM.

Además es posible trasladar en forma masiva información de una unidad de almacenamiento a otra?

Y finalmente como es posible controlar el registro de autoridades?..ya que quedan muchos términos repetidos siendo que son iguales, y el sistema no los reconoce como idénticos.

eso es todo por ahora, ,muchas gracias

Nelson