NEW in AtoM

Julia Muñoz

Feb 10, 2022, 2:29:49 AM2/10/22
to AtoM Users
Morning everyone,

Im new with Atom. A few questions:

1. How can install AtoM in my archive computer?

2. Its a good one? Any suggestions?

Dan Gillean

Feb 10, 2022, 8:15:06 AM2/10/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Julia,

Welcome to the AtoM community!

AtoM is intended to be installed on a production-ready Linux server - we use Ubuntu LTS releases in development and testing, though our community has successfully used other Linux distributions. You can see the installation instructions here:
If you are looking for a way to install a local test instance on a personal computer like a laptop, we do maintain a Vagrant box - this is the easiest way to set up a local instance. Please be aware that the Vagrant box is NOT intended for use in production - we prepare it for local testing and developing. See:

To help you find resources that will get you started with AtoM, I've collected a few links for you below.

You can find all of the AtoM project documentation here:

We also have a detailed introductory information sheet on AtoM on the Artefactual website, here:

If you would like to explore some publicly accessible AtoM sites that are being used in production by other institutions, you might find our example Users list on the AtoM wiki useful:

Many of these sites have added their own custom themes - some developed by Artefactual, some created in-house - so this is also a great way to get a sense of how you can customize AtoM’s look and feel to match your institution’s home page. You might also find the following slide deck of interest - it outlines some community AtoM sites who are using AtoM in interesting ways. See:

We also try to list resources made by our user community when we are made aware of them. You can find further resources from the community on the wiki, here:

You'll find a number of other slide decks from past AtoM Camps, conference presentations, or webinars, on our SlideShare account. A few good introductory slide decks:

The easiest way to get a sense of what you can do with AtoM is to play around with it yourself - why not take a look at our public demo site? See:

The login credentials are listed right on the homepage. The site is loaded with sample data, and you are free to make whatever modifications you like - the site’s contents will automatically reset on an hourly basis. Please note that for security purposes, all uploads and imports have been disabled.

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.