AtoM Command-line task tutorial video series now available!

Dan Gillean

Apr 11, 2016, 1:48:55 PM4/11/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Greeting AtoM users,

I wanted to let you know about a new resource we have available to share: a 10-video tutorial series on how to use the command-line tasks included in AtoM. For these videos, we first walk you through how to install and configure our AtoM 2.3 Vagrant box on your local computer (Videos 1-3), and then we walk you through a number of the other tasks you can use for maintenance, troubleshooting, bulk import or export, or managing your resources. Check out the full playlist of videos here:

If you've recently installed AtoM and will need to administer the application, this is a great way to familiarize yourself with the command-line tools at your disposal.

If you're curious to see what's coming in the 2.3 release, installing the Vagrant box locally is a great way to check out what's on the way and give the application a test run without having to go through the entire installation process! Videos 1-3 will get you up and running with Vagrant in no time.

If you've ever run into an error in your application, Videos 4 and 5 will teach you some of the basic maintenance tasks that resolve the most common issues, and where to find more information in the error logs when seeking support.

Trying to export or import large descriptions through the user interface, and running into timeout issues? Videos 6 and 7 will teach you how you can run the XML import and export tasks from the command-line.

Finally, videos 8, 9, and 10 will show you some of the other tasks you can use to manage user accounts, descriptions, and digital object derivatives from the command-line.

We'd like to thank the Archives Society of Alberta for their support in making this video series. Feedback is welcome! We hope to add more videos in the future.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

lydia...@alumni.utoronto.ca

May 18, 2016, 11:58:10 AM5/18/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Dan!

My institution has our installation hosted by Artefactual. Are we still able to use these command line tools to interact with our installation?

Dan Gillean

May 18, 2016, 3:13:13 PM5/18/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello Lydia,

At present, only the Premium+ hosting plan offers clients access to the command-line for their application. With that plan, your AtoM instance is given its own dedicated server, while other plans may use a shared server environment - so for security, we don't allow client access to the command-line.

If you need support for an activity you can't achieve via the user interface, please feel free to contact me off-list and we can discuss what kind of support Artefactual can offer based on your hosting plan.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.