Re: [atom-users] How to disinherit the Creator field at lower levels?

Dan Gillean

Sep 11, 2023, 11:35:36 AM9/11/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sarah,

If there is a different creator for the Series and its descendants, then you can simply enter edit mode, add the new creator to the Creator field in the series-level description, and AtoM will update the records, and inherit the new series-level creator to any records nested beneath the series.

Unfortunately, it seems that at present there's not a way to simply... NOT inherit anything at lower levels selectively. I tried adding a different creator and then removing it, but the original inheritance resumes. Short of modifying AtoM's code (which itself would be a global change, not a per-description change, unless you developed a whole new setting of some kind), I couldn't think of any real workaround to achieve this.

Your best bet would probably to create a placeholder authority record, like "Undefined" or "No creator" or "Various" etc. Obviously not ideal, but this stub could be given a generic blurb for its history and then used in any such scenarios where you need to to prevent inheritance. Sorry there doesn't seem to be a better solution at the moment!

Ideally, the inherited creator would be displayed in the edit template (with clear labeling that it is being inherited, and not just as a name in the edit field) so it could be removed, and if removed there would be an option to reinstate inheritance again, so that users have full freedom to manage inheritance as needed. This is ideally something we can explore in the future!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 10:05 AM JPL Archives <jpla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am currently having an issue where I would like certain creators of a fonds to exist only at the fonds level (and not at the series, file, item levels). I am unable to remove creators at the series level (so that they would no longer be listed at lower levels), and in fact, the creators listed at the fonds level do not appear in the Dates of creation area in the edit record view at the Series level. (I am working in RAD).

Per information in the help literature, I have also attempted to switch the Display standard to ISAD-G to implement these changes in the context area, but the creators did not appear there either at the series level.

Any experience with this or help is greatly appreciated!

Sarah

Mohamed vall

Sep 16, 2023, 1:58:45 PM9/16/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone ,
So I have a laptop core i7 I want to use it as a server for an atom site to use for a company that’s make them connect to do their archives things what I do what should I install a desktop image or live server image ? What steps make me install atom because every time I have difficulties when I reach the atom installation
--
IT

Mohamed vall

Sep 16, 2023, 6:14:17 PM9/16/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again I’m still trying …
Now I have this problem

--
IT

Dan Gillean

Sep 18, 2023, 8:55:43 AM9/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohamed,

You have posted across many different threads in the user forum - this makes it a bit hard to keep track of your issues, and I may be missing questions you are asking. I can no longer track your progress across all these different posts. Please pick one user forum thread or start a new one, and reply only on that thread going forward, so all our discussions are together in one place.

For the screenshot above: this looks like it could be a permissions issue. Am I remembering correctly that you are attempting to set up the AtoM Vagrant box? THIS IS IMPORTANT:

IF NO you are not using the Vagant box, and you are following the regular Ubuntu installation instructions inside of a virtual machine, then try resetting the permissions with:
    • sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/nginx/atom
Now, going forward, any time you see a command in our instructions that starts with php symfony, try specifying the user directly. So, for example, you can run the tools:install command by specifying the www-data user, like so:
  • sudo -u www-data php symfony tools:install
Hopefully this will resolve the issue you are facing in the screenshot above.

IF YES, you are using the AtoM Vagrant box... then we have a bigger problem, because you should NOT NEED to install AtoM. The whole point of the Vagrant environment is that we have handled most configuration for you. You simply need to install Vagrant, install virtualbox, run the init command, and then run Vagrant up - and if everything works, your AtoM test installation should be set up already and available in the web browser at http://10.10.10.10. Keep in mind that the Vagrant box is for LOCAL TESTING AND DEVELOPMENT ONLY, and will not be suitable for a company to use as a production site, as noted in your older post earlier in this thread.

Meanwhile I saw you posted about another problem creating a new database user in a different thread:
If you are still having this problem:

FIRST: see my response above. If you are trying to set up Vagrant, then you DON'T NEED TO DO THIS. Everything should already be set up inside the Vagrant box. After you run vagrant up on your host machine, simply go to http://10.10.10.10 in your browser and you should see your installation.

If you are installing AtoM from scratch on Ubuntu:

I have searched for this error message online for you. It is telling you that the database user password you are trying to use is not strong enough. You can either pick a stronger password (i.e. use both upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters in your password, and make it more than 8 characters), or you can try following the suggestions in one of these threads to check and change the current MySQL password policy level:

I will continue adding any further replies to your posts in this thread, going forward, so my suggestions will be in one place. I encourage you to reply here as well, and not post on other forum threads.

If you would like to use AtoM in production as a public facing access catalog available on the web, I strongly urge you to talk with this company and consider paying for a hosted installation, so that system adminsitrators with experience in installing and maintaining production-ready AtoM instances can help you and take care of all the technical details.

Artefactual has affordable hosting plans - you can see some information on our new website, and contact in...@artefactual.com to discuss options. There are also other AtoM service providers who offer affordable hosting and maintenance plans.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mohamed vall

Sep 18, 2023, 7:26:28 PM9/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello done yes your solutions worked and I did all things but can’t access to the site .

--
IT

محمود محمد

Sep 18, 2023, 8:45:49 PM9/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
You can restart the device or close the program and use a temporary memory cleaning program, for example CCleaner, and run the program again by typing the URL and making sure you write the correct port.

Dan Gillean

Sep 19, 2023, 9:09:10 AM9/19/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Mohamed,

I'm glad you're making progress! From what I see, I take it you are NOT using the Vagrant box.

There are more installation instructions for 2.7 after running the installer, including configuring your web server (Nginx)  - did you follow all those steps? See from here down:
Per the documentation, you need to configure the AtoM worker, install PHP-FPM, configure a PHP pool for AtoM, and create an Nginx configuration block still. I suspect if you follow all these steps it will work as expected, now that you have the base application installed.

If you have done all that but it's still not working, then there are a couple things you can try.

First, try:
  • Restarting PHP-FPM
    • sudo systemctl restart php7.4-fpm
  • Reloading Nginx
    • sudo systemctl reload nginx
  • Clear the application cache
    • php symfony cc
Now clear your web browser cache as well, and then try testing again.

If it is still not working, then as always when you encounter a 500 error or other problems with the webserver, check the webserver error logs for more information:
Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager