Getting DIPs

ombric...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 7:07:39 AM1/24/18
to AtoM Users
Hello everyone!
I would like to know if there's any experience of getting the DIPs in order to publish them into another interface.

I start from a program I use to catalogue, then I put my objects into Archivematica and I need to publish them into AtoM AND another interface which is the initial program.
Is there a way to extract the DIP from where it is located (is it in the DIPs Store Directory of Archivematica? is it stored in AtoM?) or, even better, to focus on the single digital object and via APIs maybe? taking them back? Are there APIs for AtoM?

I'm working on a 1.6 version of Archivematica and I'm upgrading to a 2.4 af AtoM.

I hope it's clear!

Thank you very much for any help!

Giò

Dan Gillean

Jan 24, 2018, 11:31:40 AM1/24/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Giò,

Unfortunately, AtoM does not keep the DIP. Once received via the SWORD plugin, the access copies are extracted and attached to the target description(s), some of the METS metadata is copied to the database, and the DIP itself is discarded. As for how digital objects are stored in AtoM, you might find this thread in our user forum helpful:
AtoM does have a simple API available - documentation can be found here:
In the AM 1.6 and AtoM 2.4 releases, API endpoints are also being used for the new metadata-only DIP upload workflow. This is a way to pass basic metadata to AtoM without actually sending the DIP objects - in case you want to make the related descriptions discoverable but can't actually display the DIP object for privacy (or other) reasons. From the 1.6 AM release announcement

Sponsored (Simon Fraser University Archives) DIP upload to AtoM improvements
  • Add AtoM REST API endpoints to GET archival hierarchy and PUT archival description
  • Add Archivematica REST API calls to AtoM endpoints to GET archival hierarchy and PUT archival description
  • Use the above to upload AIP metadata to AtoM descriptions, without creating DIP objects

In Archivematica, I found the following at the top of the Access page documentation

When the DIP is prepared, Archivematica moves the DIP into the uploadDIP directory, which triggers the dashboard to display the DIP upload options to the operator. After a DIP is uploaded/stored, it is moved to the uploadedDIPs directory, which can be emptied in the Administration tab - see Processing storage usage.

I believe the default location for this directory is:
  • /var/archivematica/sharedDirectory/watchedDirectories/uploadedDIPs
Please note that this location is NOT managed by the Storage Service in Archivematica - this is intended as a temporary processing and storage location which system administrators are encouraged to clear out regularly as part of system maintenance.

Another, more enduring copy of the DIP will also be kept if you are using the Store DIP workflow available during processing. In that case, where the DIP is stored will depend on your Storage Service configuration:

Likewise, DIP storage is used for storing DIPs until such a time that they can be uploaded to an access system. The default value is ‘/var/archivematica/sharedDirectory/www/DIPsStore’ in a Local Filesystem. This is required to store and retrieve DIPs. This is not required to upload DIPs to access systems.

Note that you could use the Reingest AIP option in Archivematica to regenerate a new DIP if needed. See:
I know that we at Artefactual have configured Archivematica to automatically upload a DIP to 2 places at once for clients in the past - for example, MoMA is using Archivematica with Binder, and when they send DIPs from Archivematica to Binder, they are also automatically sending a copy to their local Digital Asset Management System. This required some code changes however - if you want more information on this, I would suggest posting in the Archivematica User Forum and seeing if someone there can point you in the right direction.

In the meantime, you might want to look over the Archivematica API documentation on the wiki, here:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

ombric...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2018, 11:14:57 AM1/25/18
to AtoM Users
Thank you very much for the very useful and exhaustive answer Dan!

Giò.

ombric...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2018, 10:49:43 AM10/22/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan!
a question starting from you sentence " the access copies are extracted and attached to the target description(s)"... how does AtoM executes the extraction of the digital objects from the package DIP?

Thanks,

Giò.

Dan Gillean

Oct 29, 2018, 10:24:39 AM10/29/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giò,

I believe that this is where DIP uploads are handled by the SWORD plugin in the code:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056