Atom 2.0.1 on Dreamhost

PHXHoward

Dec 22, 2013, 12:33:26 AM12/22/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone. I've gone through a successful installation of Atom 2.0.1 but then receive the 500 error upon launching the site.

The web log has this:

[Sat Dec 21 18:47:45 2013] [error] [client 24.255.xx.xx] File does not exist: /home/aarchives/aarchives.dreamhosters.com/browserconfig.xml
[Sat Dec 21 18:47:45 2013] [error] [client 24.255.xx.xx] File does not exist: /home/archives/aarchives.dreamhosters.com/missing.html

It is true that those files do not exist in that location.

I really have tried everything I can think of. Deleted everything and reinstalled at least a dozen times trying different php versions or config options but this one is really stumping me. Read through the support group and found one post that mentioned the missing.html but did not see a solution or mention of browserconfig.xml. I also tried disabling all the Dreamhost managed web and php and going through the installation guide to install the web server, php, etc but then did not know what to do with it. I'm the "IT guy" for a small non profit and am pretty comfortable with Windows but this Linux install has been a big learning experience for me.

Does anyone have experience installing Atom 2.0.1 on Dreamhost VPS?

It would be great to have some help from a community member who has possibly seen this error or knows of a solution.

Thanks very much,

Howard

David Juhasz

Dec 23, 2013, 7:13:22 PM12/23/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Requests for "browserconfig.xml" are not related to AtoM and should not produce a 500 error, See:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/frequent-404s-thedomaincombrowserconfigxml

The "missing.html" page seems to be a Dreamhost VPS feature that allows customers to create a custom 404 (file not found) error page:
http://blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=160,

The lack of these two files should not prevent AtoM from loading or generate a 500 error.

Have you tried loading AtoM in Debug Mode for more detailed error reporting?

Best regards,
David

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

PHXHoward

Dec 26, 2013, 9:44:40 PM12/26/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you David. The debug mode was exactly what I needed in order to see the error.  I now see that the error is "You must have APC installed and enabled to use sfAPCCache class."
From the Atom documentation, I see that APC is required.  Within the DreamHost control panel, I have disabled "Dreamhost managed" PHP on my virtual private server and then ran this command:
sudo apt-get install php5-cli php5-fpm php5-curl php5-mysql php5-xsl php-apc
Had to add additional repositories in order to find php5-fpm but that was done and the installation completed successfully. I then added a php pool for Atom by editing this file /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/atom.conf:
After that, the php service was restarted and the test was successful. Also restarted the server to be sure that everything was reloaded but I still have the sfAPCCache class not enabled error.
Even though there were no visible errors, I have a feeling, it isn't using the php configuration that I installed. Really appreciate your help.
Howard

David Juhasz

Dec 27, 2013, 12:06:31 PM12/27/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard,

Unfortunately installing APC in a managed hosting environment like Dreamhost is more complicated then installing the packages via the Debian package manager (apt-get). Instructions for installing APC on a Dreamhost VPS can be found here: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/APC

Regards,
David

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

PHXHoward

Dec 27, 2013, 5:54:40 PM12/27/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you David.  It is working now.  It has finally come together for us and everyone is so happy to be able to start using AtoM.

We really appreciate your guidance during this process.

Howard

David Juhasz

Dec 27, 2013, 5:57:36 PM12/27/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to hear you got AtoM 2 running at Dreamhost Howard! :)  Thanks for sharing your experience with the community.