AtoM LDAP authentication

alisid...@gmail.com

May 3, 2018, 3:58:38 AM5/3/18
to AtoM Users
Hello,
im using atom 2.4 version on redhat linux.
What are the steps to use Ldap authentication in atom and what should be configured?
I cannot see a LDAP related tab in  the settings menu.

thank you

Dan Gillean

May 3, 2018, 10:08:49 AM5/3/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ali,

My apologies that I still haven't had a chance to properly document this feature! Here are some basic instructions to get LDAP set up in AtoM:

Enabling this requires a change to one of AtoM's configuration files - so you will need command-line access to the server where AtoM is installed. To enable, change "myUser" to "ldapUser" in config/factories.yml. Note that if this is being activated on a AtoM installation after it has been installed and used, then you will likely also need to make the same change in apps/qubit/config/factories.yml

Don't forget to restart services and clear the application cache afterwards. On Ubuntu 14.04:
  • php symfony cc
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart
  • sudo service memcached restart

On Ubuntu 16.04:
  • php symfony cc
  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
  • sudo systemctl restart memcached

I believe that after this is done, there should be a new section available on the Admin > Settings page, where you can configure an LDAP server, including the server Host, Port, and Base domain name. Now users registered on the LDAP server should be able to authenticate to log into AtoM.

When a user authenticates for the first time, an AtoM user is created in the database. This user can then be given additional access after creation, via the existing permissions module.

I will try to get more detailed instructions with screenshots into the official documentation soon!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Message has been deleted

Dan Gillean

May 10, 2018, 11:09:42 AM5/10/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Hmm, interesting. Rather than clearing the cache manually, did you try using the AtoM command-line task to do so? Run it from your root AtoM installation directory like so:
I would also suggest that you make sure you have cleared your browser cache as well, so you are seeing the most up to date version of the page!

The only other suggestion I can think of off the top of my head would be to rebuild the CSS - it's possible it needs to be recompiled to show this new page? You can do so in the base Dominion theme like so:
  • make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
I will check to see if our developers have further suggestions for this thread.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:50 AM, <alisid...@gmail.com> wrote:
hello,
i am using redhat and i modified the files:
/root/Tmp/atom-2.4.0/config/factories.yml
/var/www/html/atom/config/factories.yml
/var/www/html/atom/vendor/symfony/lib/config/config/factories.yml
 as i dont have an apps/qubit/config/factories.yml file..

i went then and cleared the symfony cache in :
/root/Tmp/atom-2.4.0/vendor/symfony/
/var/www/html/atom/vendor/symfony

i went back and restarted php-fpm and memcache but i cannot see any change

the new tab for the ldap users does not appear in the admin> settings

i am missing something?

thank you for your help

Ali

alisid...@gmail.com

May 11, 2018, 2:15:08 AM5/11/18
to AtoM Users
Hello,
I cleared symfony manually..it seemed that php symfony cc didnt work correctly..

Now i can see the LDAP auth tab containing :
Host
Port
Base DN
Bind Lookup Attribute

i am not able to authenticate to the LDAP just by filling theese options..
dont i need to bind it to a user with a password to be able to integrate Atom with LDAP?

Thank you for your help
Ali.

alisid...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 5:19:18 AM5/17/18
to AtoM Users
Hello,
i filled the host,port,BaseDN and bind Lookup attribute and im trying to login with ldap credentials but im always getting a wrong email or password message
I can login using my local account, but not using my LDAP AD credentials..
Anything else i should check?

thank you for your help
Ali

Dan Gillean

May 21, 2018, 1:45:13 PM5/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi,

I will ask the developer responsible if he can review this thread and offer more advice - I haven't done much testing of this module myself since it requires access to an LDAP server (hence the delay on the documentation as well; sorry!)

One thing to consider - I believe that, because you are setting base credentials, your login should not be an email address as usual, but a username - try that, or else just the first part of the email, and see if it works?

Hopefully our developer can pass on further suggestions soon.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

dkir...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2019, 2:46:11 PM11/11/19
to AtoM Users
Did you ever work this out? Im having the same issue.

Dan Gillean

Nov 20, 2019, 11:49:24 AM11/20/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Unfortunately, I don't have any updates at this time. The LDAP module was sponsored by one specific client who provided a test LDAP server at development time for our team to work against, but it was decommissioned before we had a chance to complete the documentation.  At this time, we do not have our own LDAP server for testing, so this remains a kind of unofficial feature.

At the time this thread was last updated, the developer I checked in with did confirm that you should try using the account username, rather than an email. Beyond that, there is little support I can offer at this time. I am hoping to raise this issue internally at our next management meeting to see what options we have for maintaining this feature going forward, so we can properly test, document, and support it for our community.

In the meantime, if this is a priority issue for your institution and you would be interested in sponsoring bug fixes, enhancements, and/or testing and documentation, please feel free to contact me off-list. We rely on the support of our community for AtoM feature development - you can read more about how we maintain and develop AtoM here:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.