Is it possible to import a CSV only with the filled columns?

Iván Hernández Cazorla

Feb 22, 2020, 2:34:57 PM2/22/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear AtoM's Community,
I am working with a CSV that then will be imported to an AtoM system. I have a CSV template, but I would like to know if it would be possible to refine the template to just the columns/values filled. To explain it better, let's see the next example:

legacyId parentId accessionNumber qubitParentSlug identifier alternativeIdentifiers alternativeIdentifierLabels title creators creatorHistories creationDates creationDatesStart creationDatesEnd creationDateNotes levelOfDescription extentAndMedium ...

I have some the above columns (and more) in my CSV template. I am filling the data values for some of them, but not for all. In this case I am using:
  • legacyId
  • parentId
  • identifier
  • alternativeIdentifiers
  • levelOfDescription
  • extentAndMedium
Will the migration be successful if I remove the unnecessary columns? Or, will the migration system needs all the structure?

I am very new with AtoM, but I really think it is very powerful and I am very interested to learn more and more. But in this case I won't do the final step (the export), I am just in charge of the data collecting in the CSV. Thus I am really interested in to be sure if my idea would work or not.

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Excuse me, I forgot to indicate that the version of in which the data will be imported is 2.5. And I want to say too that I searched about it but I didn't find an answer for this specific question, but if there is one already answered it would a pleasure to read the question and answers if someone of you share with me.

Debra Leigo

Feb 22, 2020, 10:50:15 PM2/22/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ivan,

I believe it is best to remove any columns you are not using, but to keep the columns in the original order as you have listed.

Hope this helps.

Deb

Dan Gillean

Feb 24, 2020, 10:34:47 AM2/24/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Iván,

Deb is correct - your import should still work even if you remove some of the columns. A couple of suggestions, however:

If you are using the alternativeIdentifiers column, I recommend also using the alternativeIdentifierLabels column as well. From the docs:

Alternative identifiers and their display labels can be imported using the alternativeIdentifiers and alternativeIdentifierLabels columns. Use pipe ( | ) separators to add multiple values. There should be a 1:1 relationship between the number of identifier values in the alternativeIdentifiers column and corresponding labels in the alternativeIdentifierLabels column.

I can't recall right now what the behavior is if you don't include a corresponding label, but there's a chance the import will throw an error if there is isn't a matching label for each identifier.

Additionally, the example fields you listed at the top of your message included fields such as creators and creatorHistories. Please note that these are legacy fields from older version (2.2 and earlier) CSV templates - these fields have been updated to eventActors and eventActorHistories in more recent releases. See:
You can find copies of the CSV templates for each release on our wiki, here. If there is no CSV for your release, then use the next most recent one. For example, the newest archival description CSV template is from the 2.3 release - we haven't made changes in releases 2.4 and 2.5, so this is still the correct template to use for those releases. You can see mention of the creator fields in the change notes for that template on the wiki.

Finally, it's up to you, but you might want to include a title column for your descriptions as well!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Iván Hernández Cazorla

Feb 25, 2020, 12:34:41 PM2/25/20
to AtoM Users
El domingo, 23 de febrero de 2020, 3:50:15 (UTC), Debra Leigo escribió:

I believe it is best to remove any columns you are not using, but to keep the columns in the original order as you have listed.

Hi Debra!

Thank you very much for your answer and for the point about the importance of the original order. I will keep this in mind.

Regards,
Iván

Iván Hernández Cazorla

Feb 25, 2020, 12:43:11 PM2/25/20
to AtoM Users
El lunes, 24 de febrero de 2020, 15:34:47 (UTC), Dan Gillean escribió:
Hi Iván,

Wow! Thank you very much for your answer!

Deb is correct - your import should still work even if you remove some of the columns. A couple of suggestions, however:

If you are using the alternativeIdentifiers column, I recommend also using the alternativeIdentifierLabels column as well. From the docs:

Alternative identifiers and their display labels can be imported using the alternativeIdentifiers and alternativeIdentifierLabels columns. Use pipe ( | ) separators to add multiple values. There should be a 1:1 relationship between the number of identifier values in the alternativeIdentifiers column and corresponding labels in the alternativeIdentifierLabels column.

I can't recall right now what the behavior is if you don't include a corresponding label, but there's a chance the import will throw an error if there is isn't a matching label for each identifier.

Nice to now this details about the behaviour of "alternativeIdentifiers". So if I am going to use I should set the `alternativeIdentifier` and then the name/label of them with `alternativeIdentifiersLabels`. Great!

Additionally, the example fields you listed at the top of your message included fields such as creators and creatorHistories. Please note that these are legacy fields from older version (2.2 and earlier) CSV templates - these fields have been updated to eventActors and eventActorHistories in more recent releases. See:
You can find copies of the CSV templates for each release on our wiki, here. If there is no CSV for your release, then use the next most recent one. For example, the newest archival description CSV template is from the 2.3 release - we haven't made changes in releases 2.4 and 2.5, so this is still the correct template to use for those releases. You can see mention of the creator fields in the change notes for that template on the wiki.

Yes, it is a bit old the template I shared. Because when I began to work with them they use it because their AtoM was a previous version and not the current. If I would have to import something bigger I will keep in mind that I have to use the updated templates. Although in this case I just need to import this specific data.

Finally, it's up to you, but you might want to include a title column for your descriptions as well!

At the first time I think to not use title because they want me to do the curation of basic data for a change of the system to use documents daily, but now thinking a bit more about it, if there isn't a title, how they see the item in AtoM? Some identifier? I think I am going to insert a standard title and then when they will review photo by photo, they could change them to the correct titles.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS

Again, thank you very much to both, you and Debra!

Regards,
Iván