Guide to setting up HTTPS access

Sup...@hb-it.co.uk

Oct 8, 2018, 6:09:36 AM10/8/18
to AtoM Users
I am trialing ATOM using the vagrant per built system, are there any guides on how to setup so https works? or is this more for a linux/apache forum?

Thanks, G

Dan Gillean

Oct 9, 2018, 10:50:45 AM10/9/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

A couple of things to mention here.

First, the Vagrant box is intended only for local testing and development - it is NOT intended for use in a production environment! If you want your AtoM site to be persistent and available on the web for others to use, we strongly recommend a full server installation as outlined in our documentation, here:
You can certainly create a production-ready installation using virtualization, but the Vagrant box has limited resources assigned to it and is intended for use on a local computer.

Second, setting up HTTPS is a webserver configuration issue, to be handled separately from AtoM installation. It's not something we maintain documentation for. Generally, it involves getting a certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA) for your domain. However, Artefactual makes use of LetsEncrypt for our hosting services, which is a free, automated CA. I've never tried to set up a certificate for a local Vagrant box since they are not generally available on the web, but you could look into it with them:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 6:09 AM <Sup...@hb-it.co.uk> wrote:
I am trialing ATOM using the vagrant per built system, are there any guides on how to setup so https works? or is this more for a linux/apache forum?

Thanks, G

looksli...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2018, 11:07:22 AM10/9/18
to AtoM Users
Thanks for the response. I will not be using the vagrant setup for production as you say a clean manual install is the best way for production. I will check out the letsencrypt option that could be interesting. I no longer need https for the trial, we have secured the system using firewall and MAC access control to at least limit wider access so https is not required for the 2 users testing.

Cheers, G