tools or software for harvesting descriptive metadata from AtoM?

jatnikonm

Feb 18, 2019, 8:21:07 PM2/18/19
to AtoM Users
Dear AtoM community,

Is there opensource tools or software for harvesting descriptive metadata from AtoM?

Thank you for your help

Ricardo Pinho

Feb 19, 2019, 4:55:11 AM2/19/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We have made the same question some time ago, but haven't received any reply.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/K2WvxXqe0R8/kUxnJotOBgAJ

We end up using an metadata/harvesting solution, but from the GIS area, the amazing Geonetwork (the reference metadata cws server for INSPIRE/Europe)
Since it can also be configured to use OAI-PMH protocol for harvesting.
Our Portuguese group have a test server that has been harvesting dailly with great success 6 Portuguese AtoM servers.
Please have look at:

It is not the ideal software for Archive, but it works very well, and we have been using it to monitor and test the AtoM OAI-PMH - DC response.
Please feel free to ask me for help if you are interested on this.
Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho

Ricardo Pinho

Dan Gillean

Feb 19, 2019, 11:02:37 AM2/19/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for sharing, Ricardo! And - I realize you never got any kind of reply on your thread - sorry about that!

We at Artefactual have not tested any OAI harvesters, but it is definitely possible. Several of our UK AtoM users are working with members of the ArchivesHub to use OAI-PMH to pull in AtoM EAD 2002 XML descriptions. You could try reaching out to one of their members for more information on the harvester they use.

The OAI page also has a list of tools: https://www.openarchives.org/pmh/tools/

Finally, with a quick search I also found some information on 2 open source harvester tools mentioned in the cultural heritage community - one from the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA), and one from OCLC:

As I have mentioned in other threads, AtoM also has basic support for REST-like API endpoints:
Additionally, Elasticsearch (the search index library we use in AtoM) has its own API, and we also use Elastica, a PHP client for Elasticsearch, which also has an API. In the current 2.4.1 version of AtoM we are still using ES 1.7, but in the 2.5 release, we will be upgrading AtoM to use Elasticsearch 5.6 (or later if we have time to review it again against the latest ES release). See:
I have mentioned in previous threads that the University of British Columbia Library has built a portal site (Open Collections) that pulls in content from multiple different applications - for AtoM, they were pulling this data directly from the ES index. I think they've made some changes (the same collection is no longer included), but we previously included this integration in slides 13-18 of the following deck:
Additionally, another user in the forum has shared a front end search interface they have made that searches across 2 different AtoM sites using the ES indexes - see:
You would need to develop your own way of consuming this data. However, there are many resources available online that will introduce APIs and how to work with them that can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

jatnikonm

Feb 20, 2019, 8:55:34 AM2/20/19
to AtoM Users
thank Ricardo Pinho

Does geonetwork support EAD 2002 XML that can displays the items of an EAD collection in a hierarchical view?

How about omeka have you ever tried it?

Ricardo Pinho

Feb 20, 2019, 5:14:59 PM2/20/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi jatnikonm,

> Does geonetwork support EAD 2002 XML that can displays the items of an EAD collection in a hierarchical view?

Yes, it can be configured to use the oai_ead prefix on the oai-pmh request. Please look at the attached screenshot.
But we have only tested it with the Dublin Core (oai_dc) on AtoM server.

If you wish, I can configure one harvest to your server, so you can see how it works with oai_ead.
Just send me the oai URL so I can put it to test on our server.
--
Ricardo Pinho
GN-oai_ead.png