omphile....@botho.ac.bw

Mar 28, 2019, 2:22:48 AM3/28/19
to AtoM Users
Good day

Guys every time I try to run the command curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200' I get this Error; curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused I need your help guys

Dan Gillean

Mar 28, 2019, 11:30:13 AM3/28/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

What version of AtoM are you using? Are you installed on Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04, or have you made other changes in your installation environment? Did you already have AtoM installed and running, or are you receiving this error during your initial installation?  Is AtoM working otherwise, or is the search index completely down? What version of Elasticsearch do you currently have installed?

In the meantime, here are some initial thoughts:

It may be as simple as restarting Elasticsearch. You can also check the status of the service, which might provide more information.

On Ubuntu 14.04:
  • Check status with:
    • sudo service elasticsearch status
  • Restart ES with:
    • sudo service elasticsearch restart
On Ubuntu 16.04:
  • Check status with:
    • sudo systemctl status elasticsearch
  • Restart ES with:
    • sudo systemctl restart elasticsearch
You could also try looking in your Elasticsearch logs to see if there is further information about the error contained there. These are generally located at:
  • /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log
In some cases, errors can happen if the Java runtime environment and/or the ES heap size doesn't have enough memory. The size of the heap is declared in /etc/default/elasticsearch - - specifically the ES_HEAP_SIZE for your install. So you could try changing this value - for example,  you could change the heap size value to  "2g" if you have two GB of memory available. Once the value is changed you have to restart Elasticsearch.

There are more details for AtoM 2.4 and earlier / ES 1.7 here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/1.x/heap-sizing.html

Of course, to assign more memory to ES, you need to have more memory available on your server. AtoM can run on as little as 2GB of memory for a medium-sized installation, but we generally recommend at least 4GB if possible - especially during installation and configuration, as ES requires a lot of memory during the installation process. If you are able to add more memory, you may also need to adjust some of the memory limits in your PHP configuration file. See:
Let us know what you find!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 2:22 AM <omphile....@botho.ac.bw> wrote:
Good day

Guys every time I try to run the command curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200' I get this Error; curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused I need your help guys

Omphile Sebonego

Mar 29, 2019, 2:53:26 AM3/29/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi I am using Atom 2.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 which was was an upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 and AtoM was working properly with Ubuntu 14.04 until the upgrade was made I am using elasticsearch which came with the Upgrade,when I check statue it shows
(root@atom:~# sudo systemctl status elasticsearch
? elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; disabled; vend
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-03-29 08:05:19 CAT; 30min a
     Docs: http://www.elastic.co
  Process: 24756 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -p ${PID_D
  Process: 24752 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-systemd
 Main PID: 24756 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 29 08:05:12 atom systemd[1]: Starting Elasticsearch...
Mar 29 08:05:12 atom systemd[1]: Started Elasticsearch.
Mar 29 08:05:19 atom systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Main process exited, cod
Mar 29 08:05:19 atom systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Unit entered failed stat
Mar 29 08:05:19 atom systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Failed with result 'exit
Warning: elasticsearch.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to
lines 1-14/14 (END))
Also apache2 gives this output
(root@atom:~# sudo service apache2 status
? apache2.service - LSB: Apache2 web server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/apache2; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.d
           mqapache2-systemd.conf
   Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2019-03-28 16:45:22 CAT; 15h ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)

Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]: (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_s
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]: (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_s
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]: no listening sockets available, shutting do
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]: AH00015: Unable to open logs
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]: Action 'start' failed.
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]: The Apache error log may have more informat
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22103]:  *
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22120]:  * Stopping Apache httpd web server apache2
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom apache2[22120]:  *
Mar 28 16:45:22 atom )

I wold apriciate yor help

Omphile Sebonego

Mar 29, 2019, 2:58:58 AM3/29/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
elasticsearch version 5.6.16

Dan Gillean

Mar 29, 2019, 10:58:14 AM3/29/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again,

AtoM 2.4.1 and earlier require Elasticsearch 1.7 to work as expected. We have upgraded ES to version 5.6 in the upcoming 2.5 release, but this version has not yet been finalized. We are hoping to have 2.5 publicly available in late May or June 2019.

For now, you will need to downgrade to an earlier version of Elasticsearch. See the Elasticsearch installation instructions for AtoM on Ubuntu here:
We no longer maintain documentation for using Apache with AtoM - our preferred webserver, which we use in development, testing, and production is Nginx. In light of this, the amount of support we are able to offer for resolving Apache issues is limited. However, we know there are many Apache users in our community, so I hope that perhaps another forum user might be able offer some insight.

I can't guarantee that they will work with later versions of AtoM, but you can look at the older 2.2 docs for some ideas about how to configure your Apache server:
We've also been trying to tag posts in the forum to make searching easier - you can read more about how to use the forum tags on our wiki here.

This link will show all posts tagged with "Apache" from the last couple of years:
You might find other useful suggestions in some of these threads.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Omphile Sebonego

Apr 9, 2019, 3:22:21 AM4/9/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
thanks a lot I downgraded my elasticsearch to 1.7.3 and it worked