Setup Google Analytics on ATOM 2.1.0

Lewatle Johannes Phaladi

Sep 7, 2016, 4:30:05 AM9/7/16
to AtoM Users
Dear All,

I would like to setup google analytics for my atom 2.1.0, i have received tracking code from Google Analytics and I would like to know what is next step to follow. or is there any good statistics tool I can use freely on ATOM

Regards,
Lewatle

Dan Gillean

Sep 7, 2016, 3:39:02 PM9/7/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lewatle,

AtoM does have basic support for Google Analytics baked in - if you already have an Analytics API key, you can add it directly to one of AtoM's configuration files. See:
After making changes you'll want to clear your cache and restart php5-fpm - there are instructions for doing this at the top of the second page linked above.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

EdderShredder

Sep 8, 2016, 10:39:26 AM9/8/16
to AtoM Users
We had to add Analytics today.

I added the tracking info to app.yml.
Saved and

cd /usr/share/nginx/atom

php symfony cc

but ran into an issue using
sudo php5-fpm restart
as per the instructions.

used successfully
sudo restart php5-fpm

Also should I see hits immediately on Google Analytics if it is correctly configured?

Dan Gillean

Sep 8, 2016, 1:35:33 PM9/8/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi,

Thanks for sharing what worked for you - the command I usually use is:
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart

Note that in Ubuntu 16.04, the command will now be:

  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm

It can take up to 24 hours to start getting historical data via Google Analytics. However, if everything is set up correctly, and you visit the Real-time Analytics Tab in Google's dashboard while someone is visiting your site, you should see data immediately.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Lewatle Johannes Phaladi

Sep 9, 2016, 8:08:01 AM9/9/16
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

I will implement the steps and come back with the results.

Regards,
Lewatle

EdderShredder

Sep 9, 2016, 9:01:58 AM9/9/16
to AtoM Users
Thanks Dan

I am now seeing data on my analytics page.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dan Gillean

Sep 12, 2016, 5:26:50 PM9/12/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lewatle,

I saw a message from you in my inbox, but it seems to be deleted in the user forum - did you resolve this issue, or are you still receiving an error when you try to run the clear cache command?

Did you try restarting your webserver first? Are you running the commands from the root AtoM directory? I've noticed that the location of your config file suggests you are perhaps using Apache instead of Nginx  - is there anything else about your installation environment that differs from our suggested installation instructions that we should know? Have you tried removing the space between the key and the value (e.g.  google_analytics_api_key:UA-83787153-1) to see if perhaps that is what the script expects?

I've not seen this error before, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I will see if our developers have further suggestions for you.

Has anyone else who is using Google Analytics with AtoM encountered this before? If you resolved it, how?

Thanks,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Lewatle Johannes Phaladi <joem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dan,

I have run sudo php symfony cc and it failed with the following results :
 Unable to parse file "/var/www/atom-2.1.0/config/app.yml": Unable to parse line 21 (  google_analytics_api_key: UA-83787153-1).

any idea how to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Lewatle

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Lewatle Johannes Phaladi <joem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,

I would like to setup google analytics for my atom 2.1.0, i have received tracking code from Google Analytics and I would like to know what is next step to follow. or is there any good statistics tool I can use freely on ATOM

Regards,
Lewatle

Dan Gillean

Sep 12, 2016, 5:28:49 PM9/12/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again Lewatle,

I noticed that the google analytics value is the only one that appears to be indented by 1 space - all the other uncommented variables do not have a space before them. If you remove this space, does the clear cache command run?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Lewatle Johannes Phaladi

Sep 19, 2016, 4:14:54 AM9/19/16
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

I have removes spaces as follows:

 # Google Analitycs
  google_analytics_api_key: UA 83787153 1

and I have managed to run command : php symfony cc without error, I will also check if stats do get updated after 24 hours

Regards,
Lewatle

Lewatle Johannes Phaladi

Oct 25, 2016, 4:35:34 AM10/25/16
to AtoM Users
Dear Dan,

I am confirming that I have completed to setup Google Analytics on ATOM website, thanks a lot for help, our elasticsearch was down at the time I was struggling to clear cache but after restarting it all went well.

Regards,
Lewatle

Dan Gillean

Oct 25, 2016, 10:30:16 AM10/25/16