Carlos Moreno

Feb 29, 2024, 4:12:38 AMFeb 29
to AtoM Users
Greetings to all.
Dan and the team.

They have opened a server with Debian for one of the AtoM installations.

Is it possible to install it on that distro?

Have you had any experience with Debian? and if so, would it be the same Ubuntu LTS installation guide?

If you have any reference it would be of great help to me.

VERONICA Lencinas

Feb 29, 2024, 6:19:24 AMFeb 29
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,
we have installed AtoM on Debian without problem. We used the Ubuntu installation guide. Only difference: we use Apache2, not Nginx.
With best regards
Verónica Lencinas

Carlos Moreno

Feb 29, 2024, 6:37:36 AMFeb 29
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Veronica for your help.
I will work on that with a little more security

Regards.

--
Carlos Moreno

Dan Gillean

Feb 29, 2024, 7:38:19 AMFeb 29
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Veronica for sharing your experience!

Carlos, as you  can see from other users, it is certainly possible to successfully install and maintain AtoM on other Linux distributions like Debian. However, please be aware - Artefactual does not develop or test AtoM on other distributions, and therefore the kind of support we can offer for troubleshooting issues will be limited. In general, the advice we can offer in the forum is mostly geared towards Ubuntu LTS installations, as this is what we know and use.

When assessing the use of different distributions, try to review the available dependencies - the libraries, extensions, and packages you will need to fully install and configure AtoM, as outlined in the installation docs. In particular, it's good to check the available and default versions of major dependencies like PHP (and whether all the needed  PHP extensions are supported).

We do try to tag posts in the user forum to help with discovery. For discussions that we know involved a Debian installation, you can browse previous conversations that were tagged here:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Jim Adamson

Mar 1, 2024, 11:30:41 AMMar 1
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Verónica,

Interesting that you're using Apache. I've looked at this in the past, as we're largely an Apache shop ourselves, with AtoM being the exception. Do you have a working Apache configuration to share? Might be one for the Community Documentation page, if it's generally usable by all.

Thanks, Jim

--
Jim Adamson
Systems Administrator/Developer

VERONICA Lencinas

Mar 2, 2024, 6:13:58 AMMar 2
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,
our Apache configuration file is fairly simple. I will share it here.
I had to disable php5, enable php7.4 and restart apache2
a2dismod php5
a2enmod php7.4
service apache2 restart

atom.conf file
<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName atom.myservername.com
Redirect / https://atom.myservername.com/

</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
   ServerName atom.myservername.com
   ServerAdmin webm...@myservername.com
   DocumentRoot "/var/www/atom"

   SSLEngine On
   SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/myservername.com/cert.pem
   SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/myservername.com/privkey.pem
   SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/myservername.com/chain.pem

# Available loglevels: trace8, ..., trace1, debug, info, notice, warn,
# error, crit, alert, emerg.
# It is also possible to configure the loglevel for particular
# modules, e.g.
#LogLevel info ssl:warn

# AllowOverride ALL

RewriteEngine On
RewriteOptions inherit

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/atom_error.log
#CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

# For most configuration files from conf-available/, which are
# enabled or disabled at a global level, it is possible to
# include a line for only one particular virtual host. For example the
# following line enables the CGI configuration for this host only
# after it has been globally disabled with "a2disconf".
#Include conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf

<Directory "/var/www/atom">
       AllowOverride All
       Order Deny,Allow
       Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

With best regards
Verónica Lencinas

Jim Adamson

Mar 4, 2024, 8:08:22 AMMar 4
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Verónica,

Thank you for sending through your Apache configuration. Can I ask which version of AtoM you are using?

Three years ago I put together a bare-bones Apache configuration but never actually implemented it in our live environment. This was more complicated than your Apache configuration, but then the configuration I put together continued to use PHP-FPM rather than moving to mod_php, so I guess that's to be expected.

Thanks, Jim