Asking information

Bodo Hasina

Nov 18, 2023, 12:19:17 AM11/18/23
to AtoM Users
hello everybody,

I am new here, and i would like to know about the last version of ICA ATom is it a free software?
Who can help me about using it?
wish best answers from each of you?

Dan Gillean

Nov 21, 2023, 8:34:02 AM11/21/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello there, and welcome to the AtoM community!

Yes, the most recent versions of the software - now just called AtoM - are still free and open source. In 2013 we did some major upgrades and changed the name from ICA-AtoM to just AtoM, but it is still the same application, maintained by the same team, and released under the same open source license.

You can find all of the AtoM project documentation here:
Reading through this will be the best way to get a sense of what AtoM can do!

I am also attaching a training worksheet that we use at our AtoM Training Camps to help people learn about how to use the application. It will provide you with a series of exercises to cover the basics, with links to the related documentation.

If you would like to explore some publicly accessible AtoM sites that are being used in production by other institutions, you might find our example Users list on the AtoM wiki useful:
Many of these sites have added their own custom themes - some developed by Artefactual, some created in-house - so this is also a great way to get a sense of how you can customize AtoM’s look and feel to match your institution’s home page. You might also find the following slide deck of interest - it outlines some community AtoM sites who are using AtoM in interesting ways. See:
You'll find a number of other slide decks from past AtoM Camps, conference presentations, or webinars, on our SlideShare account.

The easiest way to get a sense of what you can do with AtoM is to play around with it yourself - why not take a look at our public demo site? See:
The login credentials are listed right on the homepage. The site is loaded with sample data, and you are free to make whatever modifications you like - the site’s contents will automatically reset on an hourly basis. Please note that for security purposes, all uploads and imports have been disabled.

If you would like a way to set up your own test instance on a local computer or laptop, we do have a Vagrant box available for developers, which can be installed with minimal technical knowledge. For more information, see:
Please keep in mind that the Vagrant box is NOT intended to be used in production, or as a permanent installation. AtoM is designed to be installed on a server, not a local computer - for full installation instructions, see here in our documentation:
If you have general questions about the project, need some troubleshooting assistance, or you’d like to connect with other AtoM users, you’re always welcome to post them here in the user forum - though I also recommend that you try searching in it first, as we have answered many questions over the years! On the left side of the user forum's web page, you will see a list of labels - we try to tag all threads in the user forum with topical labels to make it easier for new users to find related content later. You can also search for multiple labels at once like so - for example, to search for threads about getting a 500 error while performing a CSV import, you might try searching the following in the user forum:
  • label:CSV-import label:500-error
Good luck, and again, welcome to the community!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.