Need A Proper Guidance AtoM installation on Mac OSX 10.14.4

satrio...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2019, 9:12:51 PM4/17/19
to AtoM Users
Hello,
I just about to start developing AtoM for my archival community using OSX. But pardon my skill the documentation here --> https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.4/admin-manual/installation/macosx/#installation-macosx bring me nowhere. Please can someone provide me a complete documentation like the one that I could found in the Linux/Windows documentation. Or should I instal VMWare so I can develop it through linux on VMWare?

Best Regards from Indonesia

Dan Gillean

Apr 18, 2019, 10:20:45 AM4/18/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

As the documentation notes, if you intend to install the application on a Mac-based server, we strongly recommend virtualization (i.e. using something like VMWare), and then following the recommended Ubuntu installation instructions inside your virtual environment. Many of the libraries and packages used in AtoM may not be available on Mac, or if they are, may have different defaults, versions, and configuration options. At Artefactual, we only test and develop AtoM on Linux Ubuntu, so we are unable to offer guidance on how you would alter the recommended installation instructions to work natively on MacOS. I'm hoping that perhaps someone in our community might have further guidance to offer.

Keep in mind as well that AtoM is intended for use in production when installed on a server - not on a desktop computer! If by OSX you mean you are trying to install AtoM on a personal computer, please note that we strongly recommend against this for a production installation. If you are just looking for a testing and development environment, you might want to check out the AtoM Vagrant box - it can easily be installed using Virtualbox on a personal computer running any operating system. See:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.