Merging Authority records

Matt McKenzie

Oct 24, 2023, 10:03:19 AM10/24/23
to AtoM Users
We are currently tidying up an archive description imported from elsewhere and it has automatically created several authority records for the same person.

Is it possible to merge multiple redundant records, which will then point all instances of a reference to the same record rather than multiple different ones?

Dan Gillean

Oct 24, 2023, 10:59:44 AM10/24/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Since so many of the fields are free-text and AtoM would have no way of knowing what to keep, what to combine, what to overwrite, etc... there's no actual "merge" option for duplicate authority records. However, we do have a command-line task that should help you in this cleanup process. See:
Essentially:
  • You do the work to manually compare the 2 or more duplicates, and update one that will be your master going forward
  • You use the task to move any description relations from the duplicate(s) to the new authoritative version
  • You update the search index
  • Repeat as needed.
Hope this helps!

Cheers,