I don't think you're doing anything wrong - this has been a bit of a ghost bug that has plagued AtoM on and off for years - every time we get new reports, our developers are unable to reproduce - though i've seen it crop up from time to time since the related issue was closed and still think it is an issue. See this ticket for some further context:
We did make a few improvements after 2.2, but as I said, I'm not convinced this is fully resolved. However, in 2.3 we also added keyboard navigation support in the global search box, which at least makes it easier to select results via the keyboard. If upgrading is an option, I suggest you do so soon, for many of the other minor bug fixes and improvements we've made to search, and to AtoM in general, since the 2.2.2 release.
Also, as noted on the ticket, make sure you are clicking the matching title text - not on the icon, or between the words. This seems to help somewhat. I've also found that the first attempt won't work, but repeating the attempt often works.
In the meantime, I am going to re-open issue #8096. Hopefully we can finally track down the behavior's cause and address it in a future release. If Orangeleaf manages to find and fix the issue, we would welcome a pull request!