Visible elements - problem with export

Jenny Mitcham

Aug 3, 2016, 12:49:18 PM8/3/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just wanted to report that we made some fields not visible via the visible elements feature of AtoM as we wanted to hide them from public view but we have realised that these fields are visible within the XML if people export the data as EAD which means that they will appear on other sites when the data is harvested elsewhere.

I'm wondering if this could be fixed so that the EAD export (and any other exports) respect the visible elements settings?

Many thanks,
Jen

--
Jenny Mitcham
Digital Archivist

Telephone: 01904 321170

Borthwick Institute website: http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/
Digital archiving blog: http://digital-archiving.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @Jenny_Mitcham
Skype: jenny_mitcham

Dan Gillean

Aug 4, 2016, 9:35:16 AM8/4/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jen,

Unfortunately, at this time, only physical storage information is removed from the EAD XML based on the Visible elements settings. We do have a note about this in our documentation, in this section:

It might be possible for us to change this in the future, but it will certainly require development - and I think, to prevent constant timeouts, we'd want to do it once EAD XML generation was being handled asynchronously by the job scheduler on all save operations, so it can be served up when requested instead of being generated on the fly. It can be tricky to remove fields programmatically while still maintaining valid EAD, as we also have to consider parent elements, etc - but it can be done! I'm away at a conference this week with spotty access, but feel free to contact me off-list if your institution wants to follow up on the possibility of sponsoring this development.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.