favicon.ico for a atom theme/plugin

Ricardo Pinho

Apr 18, 2021, 3:42:25 PM4/18/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear AtoM users,

The AtoM favicon.ico is located at the atom root directory.
To change it we can replace manually that file with a different one with the same name and the same directory. But

But I would like to apply a different favicon after changing the atom theme. And configure atom to use a different favicon.ico placed inside the theme/plugin directory, and not at the default atom root directory.

Is this possible? Could anyone explain or give me a clue on how to make that?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,
--
Ricardo Pinho

Dan Gillean

Apr 19, 2021, 1:05:14 PM4/19/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ricardo,

I think that theoretically it could be possible, but it may be complex to implement. It may also not be best practice to do so. See for example:
So... depending on the browser, it may ignore it anyway, or cause some error messages.

That said, if you want to try, I think you would need to add customized versions of every one of these template files on page 2 of these results to your plugin:
After that, it will be a matter of experimentation and testing to see what is needed next! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Karl Goetz

Apr 19, 2021, 9:51:41 PM4/19/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi,
One option which you might consider is remapping favicon using your web server configuration. The link below describes how its done and its similar to how some files are already manged in the AtoM Nginx configuration.

Karl.

Apr 20, 2021, 12:52:39 PM4/20/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Dan and Karl for your quick reply and suggestions!

@Dan
Yes I'm aware, this favicon is not an easy task! Because:.. https://css-tricks.com/favicon-quiz/ ;-)

> I think you would need to add customized versions of every one of these template files on page 2
That was exactly what I wanted to avoid... ;-)  to my understanding the current AtoM code is not flexible enough to easily change the favicon file.
I can imagine two solutions for implementing implement this:
- to use a global variable to replace favicon file name and path definitions in all those php files. (and define that variable according to each theme path)
- create an event that replaces atom/favicon.ico every time the user changes the theme.
Let's see if I find the time to try any one of this...

@Karl,
That could work for solving the location of favicon.ico.
But I can not see how to create different nginx remapping for each AtoM theme?

Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho