Not able to download XML export when user is not logged in

deepak chauhan

May 15, 2024, 5:16:07 PMMay 15
to AtoM Users
steps :

if the users are not logged in and try to follow the below steps:
1. add archive to clipboard
2. in the clipboard when we try to export the record
3. it shows the XML export finished however when we click on download the export, it shows the sorry page not found.
This only occurs when users are not logged in.

Is it known behavior?
is there a workaround or it is not possible to follow these steps when one is not logged in?

Thank you

Dan Gillean

May 16, 2024, 8:14:37 AMMay 16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deepak,

When you try it and you are not logged in, try hovering over the link before clicking it, so you can look at the link preview provided by the browser. Does it appear correct?

AtoM will construct the destination URL by starting with your Base URL settings - make sure those are correctly set:
Let us know if that helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

deepak chauhan

May 16, 2024, 11:09:26 AMMay 16
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

thanks for your reply. We did try hovering over the article and the link is correct. this is the same link that comes when we go to the clipboard and again hover over the article title before exporting XML. if there was something with article links it would have given an issue with users being logged also. It only occurs when the user is not logged in.

Thank you

Dan Gillean

May 17, 2024, 8:22:57 AMMay 17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deepak,

The behavior is in fact a bit different between public users and logged in ones - logged in users will retrieve their exports from the Job details page, and this link will not use the Base URL setting. Public users are given a pop-up notification with a link (since they cannot access the Jobs page), and this DOES use the base URL setting when constructing the path.

I did some testing locally and the only way I was able to reproduce the issue was with an incorrect Base URL, which is why I encouraged you to check this first.

Otherwise:
  • If you have a custom theme, be sure to review its implementation and make sure that this isn't causing issues. You can try temporarily switching themes outside of business hours, for example, and see if you can reproduce the issue with the base theme
  • You can try resetting the filesystem permissions, just to make sure there's nothing strange there - I can't think of how this would cause a difference between logged in an public users, but it's worth a try. If you have followed our recommended installation instructions, try: sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/nginx/atom
  • Be sure to try running some common maintenance tasks, like clearing your application cache, restarting PHP-FPM, etc. You'll find instructions for these tasks on our Troubleshooting page. I would also suggest you try testing in a different browser, and/or after clearing your browser cache. The goal here is to rule out caching as a factor, either in the application or in your web browser.
  • If the issue persists, it is possible it's related to this bug (though again, it sounds a bit unlikely given the difference between users - but worth considering), which was fixed in release 2.8.1 - if you are on an earlier version, try upgrading?
If that's still not it, then hopefully others in the community will help you sort it out! Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
Business & User Experience Analyst
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056