Genre and Subject Terms

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Aug 31, 2018, 12:46:29 PM8/31/18
to AtoM Users
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows about or has used Thesaurus of Graphic Materials (TGM) terms in AtoM, LOC terms are available to use for free i understand, but does the same apply for TGM? I would assume so as it is still LOC?

Thanks!

-Melissa

Dan Gillean

Sep 4, 2018, 2:43:37 PM9/4/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Melissa,

As far as I'm aware, LoC releases all of its controlled vocabularies under open licenses. I couldn't actually find a license statement, but they do make all of TGM available for browsing, download, and even as a linked data service, which suggests they want people to use it.

Note that the default Genre terms included in AtoM come from LoC as well - they are derived from the LoC Basic Genre Terms for Cultural Heritage Materials.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.