Elastic search Error

Stephen Innerarity

Jan 6, 2017, 4:27:14 PM1/6/17
to AtoM Users
Hey Guys so now i have Atom running im getting the following error

Elasticsearch error: Elastica\Exception\Connection\HttpException

Please advise what does this mean

Dan Gillean

Jan 6, 2017, 6:55:49 PM1/6/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stephen,

I haven't seen this Elasticsearch error before, but I can suggest some initial troubleshooting steps. First, make sure that you have Java installed, and followed all the correct instructions for setting up ES from our documentation - here's the docs for Ubuntu 14.04, for example:

If you have curl installed (sudo apt-get install curl if not), then you can check on the health and availability of your Elasticsearch clusters with the following command:

If any of the clusters are red, you can try restarting Elasticsearch:

  • sudo /etc/init.d/elasticsearch restart

One of the most common problems we see with ES is that there has not been enough memory allocated. The size of the heap is declared in /etc/default/elasticsearch - - specifically the ES_HEAP_SIZE for your install. So you could try changing this value - for example,  you could change the heap size value to  "2g" if you have two GB of memory available. Once the value is changed you have to restart Elasticsearch.

There are more details here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/1.x/heap-sizing.html

Here is some other general ES configuration documentation that might be handy:

Let us know what you discover, and if restarting ES helps resolve this.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Notice of Confidentiality:

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it.  It may contain confidential or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the content of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.  Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Stephen Innerarity

Jan 9, 2017, 4:11:02 PM1/9/17
to AtoM Users

Hey Dan, so I restarted ElasticSearch that seemed to fix it for now lets monitor and see if it happens again

Stephen Innerarity

Mar 14, 2017, 11:42:28 AM3/14/17
to AtoM Users
Hey, Dan, the issue happened Again. Now when I restart elastic search I don't see any of my archival descriptions

Stephen Innerarity

Mar 14, 2017, 1:11:26 PM3/14/17
to AtoM Users
So i did a little digging. somehow the search index got empty. I Ran the following
php symfony search:populate

It reloaded the search index. and my descriptions came back

Dan Gillean

Mar 14, 2017, 6:41:05 PM3/14/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stephen,

Interesting. I'm not sure why your ES instance is crashing - you might want to check the requirements, such as the available memory you have assigned to it, etc? In any case, I'm glad you were able to figure it out, and that re-indexing solved the problem. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Stephen Innerarity

Mar 27, 2017, 5:21:16 PM3/27/17
to AtoM Users
Hey dan,

Based on my reading at elastic, the error is being caused by my memory stack being too low but my server only has 1gb of ram  what are you guys running in your environment so I can better spec my server

David Juhasz

Mar 27, 2017, 6:44:17 PM3/27/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

We run servers with a wide range of RAM, based on how much data is in the AtoM instance, the site traffic, and the resources available.   I've run a test/demo instance of AtoM successfully with as little as 2 GB of RAM, but only with a small amount of test data.  For an small to medium institution with 10,000 - 50,000 descriptions and low traffic, 4 GB of RAM should be sufficient.   For more data or more traffic, higher allocations of RAM may be required.

Best regards,
David

--

David Juhasz