Error 500 when accessing "Visible elements" page

amtuan...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2018, 2:16:40 PM6/21/18
to AtoM Users
Hi,

We are running AtoM 2.4 and seeing this error 500 when accessing the "Visible elements" settings page. Google found nothing relating to this error for AtoM 2.4. Thanks in advance for your help.

Error log /var/log/nginx/error.log show this message.

2018/06/21 14:10:48 [error] 1255#1255: *3975 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: Widget "isad_identity_area" does not exist" while reading response header from upstream,

Dan Gillean

Jun 21, 2018, 3:37:45 PM6/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Hmm, that's interesting - I also do not recall seeing this before. Can you tell us more about your installation?

Specifically:
  • What is the full version listed at the top of the page in Admin > Settings?
  • Did you install following our recommended instructions?
    • If yes, are using Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04?
    • If no, what changes have you made?
  • Was this an upgrade from a previous version, or a clean/new installation?
  • What version of PHP do you have installed?
  • What is the default installation culture of your site (aka the language set up during installation)? Do you create your descriptions in this same language in the user interface?
  • Finally, have you double-checked in Admin > Plugins that the sfIsadPlugin is enabled?
One possibility is that when upgrading previously the sql-upgrade task was not run, and therefore one of the schema migrations was missed. I did a search for "isad_identity_area" in the AtoM code repository and it came back with three results.

Two of these relate to the schema migration (number 107) that added the Visible elements functionality:
For 2.4, the database schema version should be v156 (so in Admin > Settings you should see the version as: 2.4.0 - 156). If it's not, then it seems possible that a key migration was missed in a previous upgrade when the sql-upgrade task was not run. If you've missed one, then I'm not sure if it will work, but you could try running it now.

First, if you do have data, please be sure to make a backup first! This following command will purge (aka DELETE) everything in your database - as with all of these commands, it should be run from the root AtoM installation directory:
  • php symfony tools:purge
The CLI prompt will walk you through the steps of naming the site and creating a new Admin user once the data is purged. Now to be sure, let's drop and recreate the AtoM database. Be sure to add your MySQL username and password to the following, as well as the name of your database where it says "new_database" - if you've followed our instructions up until now, your database is likely named atom:
  • mysql -u username -pPASSWORD -e 'drop database new_database; create database new_database character set utf8 collate utf8_unicode_ci;'
If you do have data, now would be the time to load it back in to your new AtoM DB.

Now we'll try running the SQL upgrade task to make sure you are on the correct schema version for your target installation:
  • php symfony tools:upgrade-sql
If everything has worked as expected, then it should report that you are on v156 now. You can now reload your old sqldump of data, restart services, and reindex.

If that doesn't help, then please be sure to answer the questions about your installation I included at the beginning of this post, and any other relevant information, in your reply so we can assist you further.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Tuan Nguyen

Jun 22, 2018, 6:55:09 AM6/22/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan

It is weird as we followed the installation instructions exactly.. Everything is working as expected except for this one. Thanks for your help. Oh, and our site is at https://atom.library.yorku.ca/
    • What is the full version listed at the top of the page in Admin > Settings?
      • 2.4.0 - 156
    • Did you install following our recommended instructions?
      • YES, 16.04
    • Was this an upgrade from a previous version, or a clean/new installation?
      • YES
    • What version of PHP do you have installed?
      • PHP 7.0.30-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
    • What is the default installation culture of your site (aka the language set up during installation)? Do you create your descriptions in this same language in the user interface?
      • English
    • Finally, have you double-checked in Admin > Plugins that the sfIsadPlugin is enabled?
      • YES
    Tuan

    Dan Gillean

    Jun 26, 2018, 10:38:57 AM6/26/18
    to ICA-AtoM Users
    Hi Tuan,

    Sorry for the delay - so far, no one I've consulted has had clear suggestions on what might be causing this.

    Can you try navigating to apps/qubit/modules/settings/templates/visibleElementsSuccess.php in your local instance and confirming that the isad_identity_area element is present in that file (should be around line 38)?

    If so,  I'm sort of taking a stab in the dark here, but you could first try running some of the common maintenance tasks first - rebuild the nested set, regenerate slugs, restart services, clear application cache, etc - and be sure to test in an incognito browser to avoid any browser cache issues. There's a chance that something out of date is cached locally and causing issues. All the instructions you'll need for these tasks are linked from this page:
    Another thing you could try is to set the application in Debug mode and repeat the process - see if this yields any further information. If you get a stack trace, feel free to save it as HTML and attach it to a post here. See:
    If none of that works, then you may want to try the instructions I previously provided (backing up your data, purging, dropping and recreating the database, reloading the data, running the upgrade task, and then restarting services and reindexing). The only way I can think of this error occurring is if something is missing, and I'm hopeful that doing the above might rectify that.

    Sorry I don't have more specific suggestions at this time! I've not seen this error before and without examining your installation in depth, it's difficult to determine the cause of edge cases like this. If York is interested in paid support on a time and materials basis for assistance in resolving this issue, please feel free to contact me off-list. Otherwise, let us know how the above recommendations go - hopefully these will clear things up for you!

    Regards,

    Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
    AtoM Program Manager
    Artefactual Systems, Inc.
    604-527-2056
    @accesstomemory

    Tuan Nguyen

    Jun 27, 2018, 11:10:29 AM6/27/18
    to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
    Thank you, Dan.  I will try the maintenance tasks. I have tried to enable DEBUG and was able to save the stack trace (attached). Please let me know if you notice any clues in there. Thank you so much for your help.

    stack.html

    raddao...@gmail.com

    Jun 28, 2018, 11:38:52 AM6/28/18
    to AtoM Users
    Hi Tuan,

    Looking at the error, it appears to be that you are missing a setting in the database or that this setting has a wrong value in the scope column. The visible elements form is created from the settings with "element_visibility" as its scope in this action:

    And displayed looking at the settings name in:

    This setting is created on the install process and the purgue task using the following fixtures:

    Or, if you're upgrading an old database, in the following migration:

    If you're not upgrading an old database and you're still seeing the same error after purging the database, I wonder if you may have changes in this files. Otherwise it may be possible that you missed that migration somehow.

    Best regards.