Nathanael

Apr 13, 2021, 9:55:07 AM4/13/21
to AtoM Users
Hi

If I add a 'use for' to a term, should searching for the 'use for' phrase bring up all archival descriptions linked to that term?

For example our catalogue contains the place term "Cole's Mill, Stradbroke": https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/coles-mill-stradbroke. This has a 'use for' term "Barley Green". I would therefore expect a search for the phrase "Barley Green" to bring up all archival descriptions which have been linked to the place access point "Cole's Mill, Stradbroke". However this doesn't seem to happen: https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/informationobject/browse?topLod=0&sort=relevance&query=barley+green

Thanks

Nathanael

Dan Gillean

Apr 13, 2021, 11:05:28 AM4/13/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Nathanael,

There are definitely some optimizations that could be made here. However, I noticed that you are searching general in the global autocomplete - meaning the search is looking for Barley AND Green in all description fields. If you use the advanced search filter to narrow this keyword search to the Place access points field, then you get 32 results, all that have the Cole's Mill place access point.

It would take some more digging to untangle exactly how weighting / boosting, keyword tokenization, and result ranking are changing depending on this - to be honest I'm a bit surprised that you get LESS results with a global search than when refining it to Place access points (I would have expected more results). It may be that the "Use for" form of name is not accounted for in a global description search, but when narrowed to place access points it is?

If I can find some time I will try to experiment with this further and see what I can learn.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.