"Allied materials area / Related units of description" - does not work link.

amarildo rod

Jul 4, 2018, 8:44:49 AM7/4/18
to AtoM Users
Hi.
In the version of Icaatom 2.4.0 the fields "Allied materials area / Related units of description" and "Content and structure area / Scope and content "when the content is a link are not working correctly.

Example:
If you enter the value <a href="https://www.accesstomemory.org/en"> Accesstomemory </a> in Allied materials area Related units of description

The following value is displayed for the user:

It should only appear the name "Accesstomemory" which would link to "https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/" as in version 2.1.2.
link_erro_atom240.png

Dan Gillean

Jul 4, 2018, 1:03:11 PM7/4/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

This is not a bug, but a feature, which is described in the 2.2 release notes:
This was added for several reasons, but the 2 main reasons are:
  • Adding HTML to the forms can break import and export, especially with XML, where < and > are characters that are not allowed
  • Allowing HTML to be processed in the forms opened AtoM to security vulnerabilities such as XSS exploits, which we have now resolved.
However, there is a custom linking syntax that can be used to add hyperlinks in AtoM, and a command-line task that you can run that will convert your HTML links into the new syntax:
Please read the details of the command-line task carefully to understand the full effects - HTML links will be converted to the custom linking format, but in some other cases if you have used raw HTML, it may just be stripped.

Note that this will be changing again in AtoM 2.5, because we are adding full Markdown support. See:
This means a couple things. First, we're making this change so that other formatting elements will be available, such as bold, italics, horizontal rules, and much more. However, markdown has its own syntax for adding hyperlinks, and we don't want to maintain two different and conflicting ways of formatting links going forward, so we will be deprecating the current syntax in 2.5 and beyond. However, there will be a script that should run during upgrade that will automatically convert the existing link format into the new Markdown format, so most users won't have to do much upon upgrading, and you'll be getting a whole new set of features.

All this to say, if you convert the HTML hyperlinks to the current 2.4 custom link format, they should be converted for you when you upgrade to 2.5 in the future.

Finally, a gentle reminder: when you upgrade (especially when upgrading multiple version), please be sure to read the release notes! There are often details included such as this that will affect existing users.

Warm regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.