Theo

Feb 14, 2022, 8:44:41 AM2/14/22
to AtoM Users

Hi!

Is it possible to use Archival Resource Keys (ARKs) (https://arks.org)  as persistent identifiers in AtoM? An ARK contains slashes, a character that is not allowed in AtoM "slugs". To my knowledge, it's possible to us URI encoded slashed instead, %2F, but when I try this in AtoM the URI encoded slash just gets replaced with a hyphen ( - )... Any way to solve this?

Regards,
Theo

Dan Gillean

Feb 15, 2022, 9:10:21 AM2/15/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Theo,

Unfortunately, not at this time. Symfony, the PHP framework that AtoM was originally built using, provides the routing system, and reserves slashes for use in routing.

One developer I talked to mentioned how it would theoretically be possible to build an external ARK-AtoM mapping microservice outside of the current codebase, with some local modifications to interpret requests:

One could add the ARK as a property of an IO leaving the slug as-is. This would require changes to symfony routing to catch ARK requests.  Add a controller that redirects to the associated slug URL.

I'm not that familiar with ARKs, and if the idea of this kind of redirect would defeat the purpose of using ARKs in the first place, but I suspect it may not be possible to add native support for ARK-like URIs in AtoM without essentially making heavy local customizations to the underlying Symfony 1.x library - or else finally finding a way to get AtoM off of Symfony, something we have been trying to strategize around for a long time now.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.