INSTALACIÓN ATOM SERVIDOR REMOTO

Antonio Lovillo

Apr 30, 2023, 4:48:37 AM4/30/23
to AtoM Users
Hola, muy buenas.

Estoy intentando instalar Atom en un servidor remoto para que sea accesible a todo el mundo pero no encuentro ninguna documentación al respecto en la web. Por tanto tampoco sé qué programas tengo que utilizar ni si sé si soy capaz.

Gracias de antemano.
Saludos

Dan Gillean

May 1, 2023, 8:32:47 AM5/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hola Antonio,

The installation instructions included in our documentation assume that you are setting up a production site for public access on the web.Done correctly, these steps should allow anyone with the right address and an internet connection to access the public facing part of your AtoM site.

If you are using a production ready server for your installation (and not a personal computer like a laptop or desktop), then the only steps not described in our documentation are those common to all public website deployments - that is, configuring a domain name, and adding any additional deployment security for your public-facing site. AtoM's documentation assumes that installation and ongoing management of a production-ready site is being done by a system administrator who is familiar with these aspects - or at least familiar with the basics and  capable of finding the relevant resources online.

If you are not familiar with the deployment and management of websites, you may have issues maintaining and troubleshooting your AtoM installation over time - in that case, I would recommend that you consider finding an AtoM hosting provider. Artefactual provides international hosting services, but we are not the only company out there offering AtoM services.

In the meantime, I can provide some broad links and overview information, but we are unable to provide detailed and ongoing installation support via the forum.

Part of AtoM's installation process involves the installation and configuration of a web server - in AtoM's case, we recommend Nginx (and this what we include in the documentation), though it is possible to use Apache as well. This webserver will make a particular IP address  from your network accessible on the web. Typically the next step is to find a domain name provider, from whom you can purchase a domain name so your users have a memorable and easy address to access (e.g. www.example.com) instead of a random IP address (e.g. 123.45.567:90). Domain names typically have an annual renewal fee, ranging from a few dollars to hundreds, depending on the provider and the popularity of the chosen domain name. For general information on domain names and how to set one up, see for example:
Additionally, if your archives is part of a parent institution that already has its own domain (e.g. www.exampleuniversity.com), then it is possible to set up your AtoM site as a subdomain (e.g. archives.exampleuniversity.com). In this case you will need to figure out who is the domain name provider for the existing domain (you can use a lookup service like whois.com or similar), and once you have the IP address of your AtoM installation, you can contact them and ask them to update the DNS A record to point your public IP address to your chosen subdomain.

Second is any further security configuration you wish to do. You will find many guides searching online "how to harden nginx" or similar, but one of the most common next steps is to enable HTTPS, a more secure protocol than HTTP. This is a more complex topic (one I am not very familiar with), but you will find many guides online - and there are also free methods, such as using LetsEncrypt, that you should investigate.

Hopefully this very brief high-level description will give you the search terms to find what you need online - as you will see, there are many guides out there. This, combined with the fact that we assume that an experienced system administrator is handling installation and maintenance - and the fact that there are many many variations depending on your local needs and configuration - are why we do not include these instructions in the AtoM documentation. They are common steps, and not unique to AtoM, and therefore not something we can provide ongoing detailed support via this user forum.

And: if I have misunderstood your question, please clarify, and my apologies!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.