Reference and thumbnail images

Willie Erasmus

Nov 28, 2023, 4:47:49 AM11/28/23
to AtoM Users
Hi all. I need help with reference and preview images displaying white spaces as part of the image. We have eliminate the scanner as a possible problem because some pdfs it is good and some generate white spaces with the image. This only apears to affect the reference and thumbnail images generated by atom when a pdf is linked to a description. The actual pdf file display fine in any pdf viewer. See attached carousel screengrab.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 113703.png
I have regenerate the reference and thumbnails with no success. Where can i start to look. We are using AtoM ver 2.7.3-192 on linux Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Kind Regards
Willie Erasmus

Dan Gillean

Nov 28, 2023, 8:30:42 AM11/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willie,

That's strange - I confess that I don't recall seeing this before. Is this happening for ALL PDF uploads, or just this particular file? i.e. have you tried different ones?

Does anything change if you try changing the Reference image max width setting and then uploading again? See:
Or if you try clicking into the digital object metadata area (click on the header of the section to do so, or use the "More" menu in the button block and select "Edit digital object"), deleting the reference image via the user interface, and then using the option provided to regenerate them? See:
Does your installation have any customization (custom code changes or plugins, including a custom theme plugin) in place that could be affecting this?

If you want to poke around in the code, I believe that this is where the thumbnail is being constructed by Imagemagick:
And this README from the related plugin will tell you more about how we use ImageMagick for derivative creation:
While you test out those few things and provide us with more information, I will consult our developers and see if they have further suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Willie Erasmus

Nov 28, 2023, 9:00:59 AM11/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan, thank you for the quick reply. To answer some of your questions. ..We use the standard Atom setup, no customization except for the banner colours and drop down menu hover colours. The strange thing is that this only happens randomly. Some pdfs uploaded work fine and some dont, exactly the same way of scanning, same size A5 original documents. I must mention that our archivist does use the ocr option when scanning and she is using adobe as scanning software, but then again as i said same type and size of original docs scanned. I did do a complete regen of all the reference images from the command line but no luck. I will work through all your suggestions and report back.

Kind Regards
Willie Erasmus

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZ%2Bwc76k3bLV-eem_nkoc9L9MYeqGPt70gN8E0dECb%2Br3Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Willie Erasmus

Nov 28, 2023, 9:56:06 AM11/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I have tried all the options you suggested with no success. If I change the max image width setting the image changes accordingly with the white. No success there. I have read through the code all is ok but the question still is why some the reference is perfect and some the reference got the white side and bottom borders. My first thought was that she scanned the pdf with A4 setting in the scanner software but she assured me this is how she scan all the other pdf's that display correctly

Regards
Willie Erasmus

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 3:30 PM Dan Gillean <d...@artefactual.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZ%2Bwc76k3bLV-eem_nkoc9L9MYeqGPt70gN8E0dECb%2Br3Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Nov 28, 2023, 10:58:09 AM11/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willie,

Yes, it may be something in the technical metadata. Are you willing to share a couple samples with me? Ideally, one PDF that works as expected, and one that produces the issue. Feel free to email me directly off-list if you prefer (dan [at] artefactual [dot] com). That way, I can try to reproduce the issue locally. If I can, then I think that will likely suggest it is something with the PDFs themselves, and analyzing the technical metadata of a working and problem sample side-by-side may reveal more.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Nov 29, 2023, 9:29:34 AM11/29/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Willie,

I've now taken a look at the samples you sent me, and was able to reproduce the issue. It does seem that it has to do with the properties of the PDF itself, i.e. some part of how you are scanning them.

I opened up the problem PDF in a PDF editor and inspected the page set up: note the preview, as well as the Page Size Right and Bottom values, and the Contents size Right margina and Bottom margin values:

Screenshot from 2023-11-29 09-19-22.png

When I changed these as follows the PDF uploaded normally, and the first page thumbnail came out fine:

Screenshot from 2023-11-29 09-22-28.png

Now, given that the first page is a single page scan but the rest are side by side pages, I am not sure what the correct SCANNING page size should be - only that making these changes worked for AtoM's reference image, and that this confirms that the issue is with how the PDF's technical metadata is currently set. So, I think you will need to compare the two a bit more closely locally and make some adjustments to your scanning procedures based on what you find.

I hope this helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Willie Erasmus

Nov 29, 2023, 10:03:38 AM11/29/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the test and outcome. I had a suspicion that it might be the scanning software, I have found that all the problem ones were scanned with an Epson scanner. What pdf editing software did you use.? I will have to edit all the pdf's with an editor as we can not rescan the original documents. Some of them are too fragile to handle to go through another scanning session. It will destroy them.

Thank you very much
Willie Erasmsus

Dan Gillean

Nov 29, 2023, 10:34:56 AM11/29/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willie,

On my Linux work machine, I used a paid / full-featured version of Master PDF Editor 5 to do this, though adjusting page setup is pretty basic functionality, and would probably be included in the base open-source/free version.

I also have a paid PDF editor on my personal Windows machine that I have previously used for work purposes - Nitro PDF. Of course, if you have the full-featured version of Adobe Acrobat, I'm sure that could do it as well.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.