Upgrade system

leonardo...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2020, 4:34:23 PM7/3/20
to AtoM Users
Hello, I would like to update the current version that I have in my Atom system.

It is currently in version 2.4.0 - 156.

It is necessary to say that in the current system modifications have been made to the code and certain new functionalities have been added.

It would be convenient to update the system without losing those custom functionalities that were made.

Grant Forrest

Jul 5, 2020, 9:15:02 AM7/5/20
to AtoM Users
Hi, I would have thought that any direct modifications to the AtoM code base would be lost on upgrade to 2.5 - this is what you should assume.
Ideally, you'd implement your enhanced functionality in extensions rather than direct modifications?

Leonardo José Giménez Rodriguez

Jul 6, 2020, 11:00:27 AM7/6/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
They are many functionalities. Can't update without being affected?

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Dan Gillean

Jul 6, 2020, 12:21:50 PM7/6/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Leonardo,

Grant is correct. Typically, upgrading in AtoM involves installing a new version of the application alongside the old version, and then transferring your data. If you have installed from our downloadable tarballs, there is no way to upgrade in place and preserve your local code changes - you will need to reapply them post-upgrade.

AtoM can also be installed from our code repository using git (see Option 2 in our installation instructions), and I would recommend doing this if you intend to apply code customizations, as it will make it easier to manage and apply them in the future. That way, each custom code change can be managed as a separate atomic commit to your local fork of the atom code, which can then be cherry-picked and reapplied once you've upgraded.

It also means that for minor releases (where we typically do not include changes to the database schema or major dependencies), you are often able to update in place, by simply pulling in the latest changes in our stable branch and running a few maintenance tasks.

Finally, overall regardless of the installation method you choose, it will be easier to manage and reapply local customizations if they are contained in plugins (such as a custom theme plugin, where you can also include template overrides, label changes, etc). For more on custom theme plugins in AtoM, see:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

raddao...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2020, 3:30:46 PM7/6/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Leonardo,

You may be able to port your custom functionalities using git. For example, if your custom AtoM folder is located in /usr/share/nginx/atom-custom, you could clone a default AtoM 2.4.x version besides it ...

git clone -b stable/2.4.x https://github.com/artefactual/atom.git /usr/share/nginx/atom-default

And check the differences between them with ...

git diff --no-index /usr/share/nginx/atom-default /usr/share/nginx/atom-custom

You could create a patch from that diff using ...

git diff --no-index /usr/share/nginx/atom-default /usr/share/nginx/atom-custom > /usr/share/nginx/atom.patch

You'll need to modify that patch file removing the diff from files you don't want (content from the .git or logs folders for example) and making the paths match to be be able to apply it over the new AtoM version (installed in /usr/share/nginx/atom-new for example) ...

cd /usr/share/nginx/atom-new
git apply /usr/share/nginx/atom.patch

However, that doesn't guarantee that the custom changes will work on the new version and you may need to modify them to make them work with the new AtoM code and dependencies.

Best regards.

Leonardo José Giménez Rodriguez

Jul 7, 2020, 11:10:00 AM7/7/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

I understand, if I decide to proceed with the update and then do the custom functionalities. What steps should I follow to update?

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Dan Gillean

Jul 7, 2020, 11:55:31 AM7/7/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Leonardo,

Please see our general upgrading documentation here:
Also, just so you know - we're hoping to release 2.6 next week, so you may want to wait until that release is available to upgrade! More details on what it includes can be found here:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056