Generate and Download Finding Aids Option in Context Menu

Vicky Phillips

Jul 8, 2016, 10:02:44 AM7/8/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello,
I can't seem to get the option to Generate and Download Finding Aid in Context menu  to appear on our site. I've configured the Finding Aid Settings under Admin > Settings. The archive is not in draft mode and is a top level record.  As we didn't want this initially I'm wondering if I deleted something from a Admin > Menus or Admin > Settings somewhere which is why nothing is being displayed. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Vicky

Dan Gillean

Jul 8, 2016, 10:48:21 AM7/8/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vicky,

I don't believe that it's possible to remove the link via Admin > Menus. Did you have this working previously, and now it has stopped working? We have some basic troubleshooting ideas in the documentation here, but it sounds like you might have tried them already.

A couple of diagnostic tests to help better isolate the issue:

First, are you able to use the job scheduler for other jobs? For example, create a test description with at least one child record, and then add a PREMIS right statement to the top level via the More button  > Add rights option in the button block at the bottom of the view page. Then you can use More > Manage rights inheritance to try to have these rights be inherited by the child - this job is executed by the job scheduler. If this works, then we know that the job scheduler is properly installed and configured, and is running as expected. Documentation on Rights is found here, for reference:

You can also check the status of the job in the user interface, via the Jobs page (Manage > Jobs):

If it doesn't work, there may be a problem with the job scheduler. I would first confirm with your IT support that the job scheduler and its requirements have been installed correctly, as per the instructions found here:

You can also use the following command-line tasks to check the status of the atom-worker, and restart it if necessary (details included in the documentation link above):

  • sudo start atom-worker   # Starts the worker
  • sudo stop atom-worker    # Stops the worker
  • sudo restart atom-worker # Restarts the workers
  • sudo status atom-worker  # Obtain current running status

Next - if you have the finding aid options set to generate finding aids as a public user, I would suggest that you try changing this setting to "No," and check to see if the options show up on the target description. If so, there might be some problem with the publication status - perhaps you tried to publish a large hierarchy all at once via the user interface, and the operation timed out before all records were published, leaving some corrupt data or no publication status.

If this turns out to be the case, you might try using the CLI task to publish the description again. See:

You might also want to clear the application cache and repopulate the search index - it's unlikely but possible that the record is in draft mode, but the cache is presenting it as published.

  • php symfony cc
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart
  • php symfony search:populate

Note that if this does end up being the case, there are several improvements in the upcoming 2.3 release that should prevent you from encountering this exact issue in the future. First, we have changed the Publication status update to use the job scheduler - so it will run asynchronously in the background, and will not time out via the browser during large requests. You'll now find the Publication status update options in the More button, instead of in the Admin area of the description's edit page in 2.3. Documentation on this feature can be found here. Second, we have introduced database transactions in the backend - so if you perform an operation that times out via the browser, AtoM will automatically roll the database back to the last well-known state before the action, instead of terminating with corrupted data, which can lead to all kinds of difficult to diagnose issues that sometimes take time to appear. Note that the 2.4 release will also vastly improve the Generate finding aid workflow (less confusing status messages, easier workflow, option to delete existing finding aids, a more obvious/visible button for end users to download the finding aid, and options to upload your own finding aids instead of generating one from the description).

I'll leave it there for now - we can start with those initial troubleshooting steps to see if they help us better isolate what and where the issue might be. Let me know what you find, and if you're still experiencing issues, I will see if the developers have any further suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.