upgrade vagrant from 2.2 to 2.4

Ghislain Thibault

Nov 1, 2018, 3:29:06 PM11/1/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’m trying to upgrade the vagrant ( in order to match our current development environment (2.4) using the git pull –rebase and this what I get : “Your configuration specifies to rebase the ref ‘qa/2.2.x’ from the remote, but no such ref was fetched”. How can I upgrade the Vagrant box to 2.4?

Please adive,

Ghislain Thibault

Archiviste informatique documentaire, CRCCF

git-pull.JPG

Dan Gillean

Nov 1, 2018, 4:30:15 PM11/1/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ghislain,

We always have 2 active branches with our projects. The one under development for the next major release is always the QA branch (for Quality Assurance), while once we put out a release, we change the branches to "stable." So, after 2.2 was release, qa/2.2.x was changed to stable/2.2.x. Right now we have 2 branches where we are actively working:
  • stable/2.4.x - this was used for the 2.4.0 release, and it is where we are adding verified bug fixes for the 2.4.1 release
  • qa/2.5.x - this is our development branch, where we are adding new features that will be included in the 2.5 release.
You can actually see this information (and more) at the top of the output in the screenshot you've shared.

If you want to upgrade the box to 2.4, you'll want to do the following steps. Note that I strongly recommend you make a back-up of any data currently in your vagrant environment that you want to keep first! Because you are jumping several versions, there have likely been database schema changes since 2.2, so  we'll want to purge our database, and run the sql-upgrade task as part of our upgrade process. Let's begin:

First, checkout the 2.4 branch:
  • git checkout stable/2.4.x
Now we'll pull --rebase
  • git pull --rebase
Now let's purge everything! Using the --demo option with this command will skip confirmation, and will automatically create a demo admin account (de...@example.com, password: demo) for you to use:
  • php symfony tools:purge --demo
Let's make sure the database schema is up-to-date - run the upgrade task:
  • php symfony tools:upgrade-sql -B
Populate the search index:
  • php symfony search:populate
Let's also remake the CSS, since page styling elements have changed since 2.2 and we want to ensure they render properly:
  • make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
Clear the application cache:
  • php symony cc
Restart services (PHP-FPM, memcached, and the atom-worker):
  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
  • sudo systemctl restart memcached
  • sudo systemctl restart atom-worker
Now you should be good to go!

Note that the final couple of commands to restart services assume you are using the most recent version of the Vagrant box, which was deployed using Ubuntu 16.04. If however you are using an older version, then it may still have been created with Ubuntu 14.04 and those commands won't work. In that case, use the following:
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart
  • sudo service memcached restart
  • sudo restart atom-worker
Finally, you might find the following slides, and the related bash script useful for using Vagrant as a test environment. See:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.