skerdi...@gmail.com

May 18, 2018, 6:04:43 AM5/18/18
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I have installed AtoM 2.4 -156 and changed default language to my desired(Greek) succesfully, the only problem I have encountered is that when on a language other than english, the identifier counter isn't saved when we manually change it from the settings. The identifier value shows the same value as before the change, when we try to enter a new archival description, although in the settings it shows the new value we inputted.
If we try to enter a new archival description the value will be updated incrementally as expected, but it will totally ignore the value we manually set from the settings.

Skerdi

Dan Gillean

May 21, 2018, 2:43:31 PM5/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

I'm away from the office, traveling with limited internet access and therefore not currently able to test this myself. However, it sounds to me like you have possibly found an i18n bug in AtoM, that is simliar to the issue we've discovered recently with CSV exports. See:
When I am back in office (after May 24th), I will try to reproduce this issue, and will report back what I find here.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

skerdi...@gmail.com

May 25, 2018, 8:16:25 AM5/25/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thank you, I am waiting for your answer and what you will find. As of now I have found an easy/messy solutionn to this, which is changing the counter value in the database. Could you suggest any other solution?

Skerdi

Τη Δευτέρα, 21 Μαΐου 2018 - 9:43:31 μ.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Dan Gillean έγραψε:

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM, <skerdi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have installed AtoM 2.4 -156 and changed default language to my desired(Greek) succesfully, the only problem I have encountered is that when on a language other than english, the identifier counter isn't saved when we manually change it from the settings. The identifier value shows the same value as before the change, when we try to enter a new archival description, although in the settings it shows the new value we inputted.
If we try to enter a new archival description the value will be updated incrementally as expected, but it will totally ignore the value we manually set from the settings.

Skerdi

Dan Gillean

May 28, 2018, 1:36:47 PM5/28/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Skerdi,

I have managed to test and reproduce this issue. I consider it a bug, since an identifier is not a translatable element, and users should be able to generate unique identifiers in a multilingual site. Consequently, I have filed a bug ticket here:
I have added it to our internal list of bugs for review before the next release. However, at this time we're working on wrapping up the 2.4.1 release, so it's possible it won't be addressed then. For bug fixes, we try to fix as many as we can before each public release, but it depends on time available and the complexity of the bug. You can read more about how we manage the AtoM project here:
If this is a critical issue for your institution and you would like to guarantee its inclusion in the next public release, then your institution might consider sponsoring a fix for the issue. If this is of interest, please feel free to contact me off-list, and we can prepare a development estimate for you.

In the meantime, I'm not sure what to recommend as a workaround. You can check the counter position in the primary language prior to flipping the interface to Greek and generating a new identifier, and then manually edit the identifier, and manually edit the counter value in Settings. Obviously this is not ideal, however. I guess you could also use a shared spreadsheet or something external to AtoM to keep track of your new identifiers.

Hopefully we'll be able to address this issue soon.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

skerdi...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2018, 4:37:22 AM6/1/18
to AtoM Users
Thank you Dan.

Dan Gillean

Jun 1, 2018, 11:09:05 AM6/1/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again,

Good news! One of our developers has tackled this issue between client projects. I've verified the fix in our 2.5 branch - assuming it's not difficult to do so for some reason, we'll try to backport the feature to our stable/2.4.x branch as well, so it can be included in the upcoming 2.4.1 release as well.

Thanks again for letting us know about this!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.