Creighton Barrett

Mar 21, 2017, 1:08:52 PM3/21/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I see in the docs for exporting descriptions that the Dublin Core XML export is supposed to include all child records and associated authority records, taxonomy terms, etc.

https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/user-manual/import-export/export-descriptions-terms/#dublin-core-xml-export

But we don't get this when we try to export a multi-level finding aid as Dublin Core XML. If we click on the Export Dublin Core link when you are at the top-level of the finding aid, we only get the top-level metadata.

I've tried changing the description template and get the same results. Is there something we need to do to enable the full export?

Thanks,

Creighton

David Juhasz

Mar 21, 2017, 6:10:23 PM3/21/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Creighton,

Sorry, but I think that's a copy & paste error in the documentation. :(  As far as I know the DC XML export has only ever included the current level of description and does not include the children or descendent metadata.  My guess is that the text was copied from the EAD XML section and pasted without editing.

I'll double check with Dan on Thursday (after AtoM Camp has wrapped up) and we'll update the docs if I'm right about the expected functionality.

Best regards,
David

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

Dan Gillean

Mar 22, 2017, 8:18:39 PM3/22/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Ha! Interesting. Definitely a mistake - as far as I know there has also *never* been a way to run an export that will also automatically export all related entities such as authority records, etc as that sentence claims. I wonder if this was something copied blindly over from the old wiki in the early days of the documentation rewrite? In any case, it looks like this has not been reviewed since it was first added to the 2.0 documentation in 2014. We're going to be completely overhauling the import and export documentation for 2.4 to account for all the changes coming, but I'll try to go back and update at least the 2.3 and 2.2 versions of this as well when I have a chance.

As a sidenote, I seem to recall that it *is* possible to use the bulk-export task in the CLI to get all of the MODS XML for a hierarchy to export - but unfortunately, I don't believe the CLI export task supports DC as an available format.

Sorry for the confusion, Creighton!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Creighton Barrett <csba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

I see in the docs for exporting descriptions that the Dublin Core XML export is supposed to include all child records and associated authority records, taxonomy terms, etc.

https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/user-manual/import-export/export-descriptions-terms/#dublin-core-xml-export

But we don't get this when we try to export a multi-level finding aid as Dublin Core XML. If we click on the Export Dublin Core link when you are at the top-level of the finding aid, we only get the top-level metadata.

I've tried changing the description template and get the same results. Is there something we need to do to enable the full export?

Thanks,

Creighton

Creighton Barrett

Mar 23, 2017, 2:03:40 PM3/23/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David and Dan! And no worries. I thought it might've just been a typo but I wanted to check in case there was something we didn't know about! This was the first time anyone has ever asked us about data export, which is kind of cool. I noticed the MODS export from the browser doesn't include all of the data elements, but I didn't try the CLI export. My work around was to just build a search and export the results via CSV (awesome feature).

Thanks again!

Creighton