Atom digital object metadata

75 vues

Normand Gauthier

non lue,
29 sept. 2022, 09:14:0929/09/2022
à AtoM Users
Hi,

Is there a way to have more technical information of a video,audio or image file in the Digital object metada such as height, width, lenght, codec etc?

Thank you

Normand Gauthier
Technical project manager
Société des Arts Technologiques

Dan Gillean

non lue,
30 sept. 2022, 08:58:2330/09/2022
à ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Normand,

Unfortunately, not at present. The upcoming AtoM 2.7 release will introduce some changes to the digital object metadata area - specifically, the original and each derivative will be given its own metadata section to better clarify what elements belong to which version of the digital object.
However, this does not introduce additional technical metadata fields.

You would need a developer to make changes to support such additions. I will include some initial links and resources below, in case you or someone else intends to pursue this as a development project.

First, we use imagemagick to handle image conversion, and that tool does include an identify command that can return elements such as format, width, height, and colorspace. See:
We use ffmpeg to process audio and video files. If you call ffmpeg and give it a path to a file without any other commands, it will return some basic information. However, for more detailed metadata you might need to use a related tool instead: ffprobe:
I don't believe we install this tool by default during AtoM's installation, so you would need to ensure it's installed, and then call it during processing to get the additional metadata you want.

Finally, we use poppler utils and pdftotext to handle PDFs. I could find less information on what metadata these tools can extract, so you will have to do you own investigation.

Most digital object processing happens in the following file, which is the one you'd likely want to modify to introduce new functions as needed:
In terms of displaying your new metadata in the front end, you would need to modify the relevant display templates to add additional fields. You may also need to store this metadata in the database. I will just point you to some general development resources - if this is something you intend to pursue, our developers could provide further answers to specific questions. In the meantime, see:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Normand Gauthier

non lue,
30 sept. 2022, 10:17:3530/09/2022
à ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.  I cannot wait for the 2.7 release. Will this be imported from Archivematica.  I guess this type of information is contained in the Mets file of the AIP.

Cordially

Normand Gauthier

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZLuxzhWvmS83JcOig3iju%2B5b33nBjsY-hEd9-adi9Q9Ew%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Normand Gauthier
Gestionnaire de projets techniques/ Technical project manager

Société des arts technologiques | Society for Arts and Technology
Prenez note que mes disponibilités sont mardi au vendredi

Dan Gillean

non lue,
30 sept. 2022, 15:39:0330/09/2022
à ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Normand,

There are a few additional digital object metadata display enhancements in AtoM 2.7 for Archivematica users as well - see:
This does include displaying a bit more technical metadata about the original, including the format name and pronom ID, as you can see in the screenshot included in the documentation section I've linked above.

I believe that AtoM does store even more of the METS metadata on upload, but that's all that is displaying currently - as with the last post, further development would be required to display more technical metadata.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager