Error message

Alison Diamond

May 2, 2023, 11:45:41 AM5/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway message when I try to access the AtoM catalogue.
Is there a generic problem which I'm not aware of or is this specific to us?
Many thanks
Alison

Alison Diamond

Dan Gillean

May 2, 2023, 12:12:21 PM5/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alison,

Sometimes 502 errors (which are typically about a problem between the source site - i.e. your AtoM installation - and the webserver [Nginx] responding to requests) are falsely returned by a web browser due to cache issues. Therefore, the first thing to determine is whether it's just your browser or not. Things you can try:
  • Perform a hard refresh: most browsers support CTRL+SHIFT+R as a way of refreshing a page without using a cached version (or CMD instead of CTRL on a Mac)
  • Clear your web browser's cache, or test in an incognito / private browser window, where caching is typically disabled by default
  • Test in an entirely different browser (to make sure that browser plugins or extensions are not contributing to the issue)
  • Entering your AtoM site URL into an online status checker, such as https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ or https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
If it IS a local issue, then try things like clearing your web browser cache, restarting your browser or computer, etc. If it's not a local issue and there is in fact a problem with your site, then the first thing you should do is check the webserver logs to see if more information about the nature of the error is available. See:
Beyond that, it will depend on what you find! Feel free to share any relevant error message you come across, and we will try to offer further suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

May 2, 2023, 12:15:38 PM5/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
PS: I also searched the forum a bit, and found this roundup thread of suggestions for 502 errors:
Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Alison Diamond

May 2, 2023, 12:26:47 PM5/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan
Checking status gets this message:
Argyll-papers.com is DOWN for everyone.
It is not just you. The server is not responding...
So not a local issue... can you advise further?
Many thanks
Alison

Dan Gillean

May 2, 2023, 1:26:55 PM5/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Alison,

First, if you are an Artefactual hosting client, then please feel free to forward this thread to sup...@artefactual.com (or just send a new message, your call) and a member of our team will follow up with you to resolve this ASAP.

For anyone else encountering a 502 error, the next step is to check the webserver error logs. You can also look at some of the other suggestions I rounded up in this older forum thread

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Alison Diamond

May 3, 2023, 4:11:01 AM5/3/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan
Many thanks.
The 502 message has disappeared this morning (phew!) so up and running again.
Many thanks for your support yesterday.
Alison