Making a plugin

Tim Schofield

Mar 19, 2018, 10:53:32 AM3/19/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan

I was hoping you could help me with writing an AtoM plugin. I want to make sure
I'm doing this right, by overiding templates etc. and staying away from anything that might be core code.

I've been trying to make plugin that records the name of the current user,
the date and time and archival description title when an archival description is created/edited.
I've succeded in makeing a plugin that can be switched on/off and I can get the current logged in user, time and title.
However I don't know where to put the code to save the user, time and title, when an archive description is created/saved.
In WordPress suppose you would look for a "hook" but I'm not aware of an eqivalent notion in AtoM.
Would I do this by overiding a class somewhere?

Regards

Tim Schofield

Dan Gillean

Mar 19, 2018, 11:23:07 AM3/19/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tim,

I will try to get a developer to review this thread and add a couple suggestions as to where to look next. In the meantime, I'll just re-post some of our development resources here. Apologies in advance if I'm sharing things you're already looking at - I'm also trying to ensure that this thread is useful to future AtoM users searching the forum :)

First, there are those resources listed on the wiki, here:
We also have some slides that might be of use:
If you are storing information that requires new fields to be added to the database, then you will need to add a migration schema, so users can upgrade the database schema by running the tools:upgrade-sql task. You can look at previous migration files here:
Here's an example of a pull request that added new fields to the view pages, edit pages, facets on the authority record browse page, and import/export code - the addition of new fields on authority records to capture actor occupation data, added to the 2.4.0 release:
Looking at what files where changed, where, and how, might be useful for reference, though your project is somewhat different.

I'll see if our developers can offer any further guidance.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.