Re: [atom-users] Mods Template Record Duplication

Dan Gillean

Nov 6, 2023, 12:12:28 PM11/6/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

Can you tell me a bit more about your installation, as well as the exact steps to recreate this issue?

I have done some testing internally on our qa/2.x branch (i.e. the branch that we do development on, so it will include everything that is currently slated for the upcoming 2.8 release) and I was unable to reproduce the issue you described when creating MODS records in both English and French (just to see if the culture had any effect). In all cases, duplicating the record successfully copied over the creator, as expected.

I am also a bit unclear from your report whether you are saying that you are intentionally creating duplicates and the creator is not included... or whether the accidental creation of duplicates IS part of the bug, as in you are not doing it, but the system is creating a copy when you are trying to create a single record. Hopefully a bit more information will help clarify all of this.

First about your installation:
  • What is the default installation culture of your AtoM site? (set during installation, and stored in app/qubit/config/settings.yml if you need to check)
  • What language is the user interface set to when you are creating and editing records that causes this issue (i.e. what is the Language menu set to in the AtoM header bar? Is it different from the installation culture?)
  • Does your 2.7.1 installation have any local customizations, including changes to the MODS template, a custom theme, or anything else?
About the error and the steps to reproduce:
  • Are you intentionally using the Duplicate button to create a copy? Or is this duplicate being created by accident when you create a new MODS record?
  • Can this issue be reproduced consistently (i.e. every time a certain sequence of steps is followed)? If yes, can you provide the exact steps to reproduce?
  • Have you double-checked that the original record included a creator name before duplication?
On this last question: I did notice that at present, the MODS records do not seem to support inheritance of either the repository or the creators at lower levels, as other templates do. I confess that MODS is the least-used template in AtoM, and as such is sometimes overlooked. Because of this, I am uncertain if the lack of inheritance here was a design choice made long ago, or a bug that was introduced at some point and then missed. In any case, if you add a new description as a child of an existing MODS record, I have noticed that this new description will NOT inherit the creator and repository from its parent. Therefore, if you make a duplicate of this record, the duplicate will also not include these elements.

Hopefully with a bit more information we can sort out the cause here. In the meantime, if there is a bug then it's possible that upgrading to 2.8 when it is released (soon!) will resolve the issue, since I have not been able to reproduce the issue at all in the current 2.8 release candidate.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 9:12 AM Bryan Vasquez <vbrya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings,

We're using a AtoM instance with Mods Template, version 2.7.1 -192 and arDominionPlugin as theme, we detected some issues creating new records sometimes resulting on duplicate records without some data like "creator's name".

Here some examples:

1. After saved a record, the system created a copy of this record.

Captura de pantalla 2023-11-03 132642.png
2. This copy record doesn't contain the creator's name written previously.

Captura de pantalla 2023-11-03 132439.png
It seems to us, that this issue is can be related to the "Duplicate" record button, we couldn't find some other entry of this situation though, so we truly appreciate your comments about the matter.

Thank you so much.