Adding a language to the identified language list -- is this a thing?

stevi...@gmail.com

May 22, 2018, 11:29:33 AM5/22/18
to AtoM Users
I have some material in a collection that is in Anishinabe, but that is not an option on the "language of material" list. Is there a way I can add it?

Thanks!
- Stevie Horn

David Juhasz

May 22, 2018, 2:39:42 PM5/22/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stevie,

The short answer is there's not an easy way to add Anishinabe to the drop-down "Language of Material" list in AtoM.  You can use the "Language and script notes" for languages that are not in the drop-down, as well as discursive text about the language and script of the materials (e.g. "Predominantly English, with some French correspondence").

The slightly more detailed answer is the language and script drop-down menus are currently using coding files provided by the underlying Symfony framework that AtoM is built on.  These coding files are keyed on ISO 639-1 language codes and ISO 15924 for script codes, with the inherent limitations of both coding systems.  You can see an example of one of these data files here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/artefactual/atom/qa/2.5.x/vendor/symfony/lib/i18n/data/en.dat

Best regards,
David

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

Dan Gillean

May 23, 2018, 5:51:51 PM5/23/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stevie,

One of our developers also turned the list of available languages in AtoM supported by Symfony into a more readable list, here:
Our apologies that it is not as comprehensive as we would like.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.