Issues with version 2.3 installation

John La

Sep 27, 2016, 5:12:27 PM9/27/16
to AtoM Users

Hello,
I have installed version 2.3 and have the following issues

1. The top right menu buttons are now rectangular box. Is there a way to get the icons back?

2. When you search archival descriptions, it defaults to the “Only Top-Level Descriptions” filter. Is there a way to default to “All descriptions” filter.

3. The clipboard function is not working. There is no icon in the top menu. I have checked admin->settings->menu and 'Clipboard' is there.
I am not sure what other setting needs to be set.

4. In Settings – Digital Object Derivatives , this setting is not working and it says it needs a pdfinfo tool

Thanks,
John

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Dan Gillean

Sep 28, 2016, 12:28:37 AM9/28/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi John,

I suspect that the icons issue and the Clipboard issue are both a result of your custom theme. We've had one other user encounter an issue with the clipboard and a custom theme in this way, so I'd start my investigations there - my guess is that if you switch back to the Dominion theme the Clipboard will work as expected.

I'm hoping that both issues - or at least the issue with the icons - might be resolved simply by recompiling your theme - navigate to the directory with your custom theme plugin and run make to recompile. For example, you could run this for the Dominion theme like so (from AtoM's root directory):
  • make -C plugins/arDominionThemePlugin

Might want to clear the application cache and your browser afterwards as well. If that doesn't resolve the clipboard issue, you'll have to look at the custom theme more closely.

Regarding the search: the top-level description filter should only be in place when browsing, not when searching. This allows users exploring via Browse to start at the level with the most contextual information, and then explore the hierarchy - they can also remove the top-level description filter at any time to browse all levels. When you search a term via the global search box, the top-level filter should not be applied - you'll still get results from all levels.

If you do want to make the browse work without the filter in place, I think there's a way you could do so without any coding - via the Manage menus module. I don't have time to test this, but simply take the unique part of the URL used on the archival description browse page when the top-level filter is off, and use this in the Path for the Browse > archival descriptions menu settings. For more information on working with Menus in AtoM, see:

Finally, for the new derivatives setting - this new setting allows you to set a different page number to start from when generating derivatives for PDFs - useful if your organization always adds a cover page to digitized materials for example, so you can ensure that all the derivatives don't look identical. Read more about the setting here:

If I recall correctly, pdfinfo should be installed in the same poppler-utils package we recommend in our installation instructions for digital object derivatives, here:

If you are installing on a different operating system, you might have to do a bit of searching to figure out if pdfinfo and other digital object dependency packages are available.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

John La

Sep 29, 2016, 5:26:19 PM9/29/16
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
Thanks for you suggestions.
We had copied the theme over from the previous version and that appears to be the problem.
We tried to re-compile it but still not good.
Therefore we are just using the Dominion theme and making some simple modifications.
This has solved the icons and clipboard problems.

Today we found the radio buttons under 'Level of description' are missing.
Is this a theme issue or a setting under the admin menu?

Thanks,
John

Dan Gillean

Sep 29, 2016, 5:47:57 PM9/29/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi John,

In 2.3, the settings for top-level vs all levels now appears in the Advanced search panel - you'll find the radio buttons there. See:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.