Deleting text from Language and Script Notes field

Robert Dirig

Sep 2, 2015, 5:56:59 PM9/2/15
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi,

I imported text into the Language and Script Notes field in a number of records and I am unable to delete it.  I delete the text, but once I save the record, it returns.  I am running AtoM 2.2 with the DACS template.

Thanks,
Bob Dirig
Art Center College of Design

Dan Gillean

Sep 2, 2015, 7:03:53 PM9/2/15
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bob,

It looks like you might be running into a known issue, that has been resolved in more recent versions of AtoM. See:

The easiest way to resolve this issue would be to upgrade your AtoM instance to 2.1.2 or 2.2, and then re-attempt your delete.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Vicky Phillips

Aug 11, 2016, 5:47:03 AM8/11/16
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
We seem to be experiencing the same issue too.  We are currently on version 2.2.0 of AtoM and are using ISAD template.
Thanks,
Vicky

Dan Gillean

Aug 11, 2016, 1:10:47 PM8/11/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vicky,

Thanks for this report - I have confirmed that I could recreate this in our demo site using 2.2.1 - it looks like the fix was not applied to all templates! I've added a note, re-opened the issue, and tagged it for the next release. Because the solution is known and the work involved is small, I'm hopeful that we'll be able to address it.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Vicky Phillips

Sep 14, 2016, 7:43:15 AM9/14/16
to AtoM Users

Thanks Dan. Just to note we also have the same issue with the Notes area Note field. Am I correct in thinking that this is covered by fix planned for inclusion in version 2.4 of AtoM?  I have explained to users that they can use the x (delete button) to the right of the Note box to entirely delete a Note in the meantime.
Thanks,
Vicky

Dan Gillean

Sep 15, 2016, 7:50:52 PM9/15/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vicky,

That's an interesting one. I'm not sure that the same fix for the language and script notes would address this particular issue - and it's possible our developers would see its current implementation as a feature, not a bug.

I did a bit of testing, and noted that if you just delete the content of the note without using the X icon to remove it, then yes, when you save, nothing is changed - I think it's probably so that blank notes are not saved in the database. The Notes are maintained in a different table than the general information object (e.g. archival description) elements, and I think this probably has something to do with how the interface was designed.

I did note that I could still effectively edit the content of existing notes - if it was not possible to do so without removing and replacing the note, I would definitely consider it a bug. In this case, it seems that edits are possible, and full removal is possible - but only if you use the X icon. I could try to clarify this in the documentation perhaps, if you think that would be useful.

It might be possible to change the field to say, if it is empty, remove it - but given some of the other bugs that have been reported and which I hope to see fixed, I think this one is a lower priority at the moment, since there's a viable working solution... even if it's not entirely intuitive (sorry).

I really appreciate the report! And of course, we'll try to improve it if and when we can.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Damian Bauder

Jan 6, 2017, 10:30:39 AM1/6/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Since I didn't see mention of our specific combination at https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/6802, I just wanted to note that we have just experienced this issue with the ISAD(G) template in 2.3.

Thanks,

Damian

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:47 AM, 'Vicky Phillips' via AtoM Users <ica-ato...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Dan,
We seem to be experiencing the same issue too.  We are currently on version 2.2.0 of AtoM and are using ISAD template.
Thanks,
Vicky

Dan Gillean

Jan 6, 2017, 3:49:45 PM1/6/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for letting us know, Damian. Because we already know what the fix is and just need to apply it to other templates, I've already associated this with the 2.4 release so that we definitely address it. I'll make sure to test the issue on all templates!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056