New installation roadblock

sandrab...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2020, 11:43:40 AM4/21/20
to AtoM Users
We are trying to install AtoM on our College servers and ran into this problem, according to our IT dept.: "It requires a version of a software package that is no longer maintained by the original developer. That wouldn't be a problem but the current shipping Linux versions also don't have that version of the software as a downloadable option any more. That doesn't leave us any good options for getting it running." We are currently using CentOS8. Does anyone know if this problem might be resolved with the upcoming release?

Dan Gillean

Apr 21, 2020, 12:42:04 PM4/21/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Sandra,

Can you potentially get more information on exactly what software package your IT team is referring to?

I would also suggest they consider installing using Ubuntu rather than CentOS, as we base our internal testing and documentation on this Linux distribution, and therefore will be ensuring that all required packages are available.

If that's not possible, the Community resources section of our wiki includes a number of CentOS installation guides, including one for CentOS 8. Artefactual does not review or test these alternative installation documentations, but they have been reported as working by other users via the user forum. See for example:
These instructions should include installation suggestions and/or alternatives for any packages required for AtoM.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:43 AM <sandrab...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are trying to install AtoM on our College servers and ran into this problem, according to our IT dept.: "It requires a version of a software package that is no longer maintained by the original developer. That wouldn't be a problem but the current shipping Linux versions also don't have that version of the software as a downloadable option any more. That doesn't leave us any good options for getting it running." We are currently using CentOS8. Does anyone know if this problem might be resolved with the upcoming release?

Sandra Baird

Apr 21, 2020, 1:36:21 PM4/21/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dan, I will pass this along and hope they will be able to work with that. Much of this is above my head.
Best,
Sandy

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZ%2BMKs%3DJN2J%2BEoyQa_cb4Tu1NdL2NJ_tGwvi%2BviLc5n%2Big%40mail.gmail.com.

Sandra Baird

Apr 21, 2020, 2:18:16 PM4/21/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
This was his response: "Here is information on the specific module we are having a problem with:

“The package we are referring to is Elasticsearch 5.6. Your technical requirements page specifies that AtoM cannot use Elasticsearch 6.0 or later due to functions that Elasticsearch deprecated. Elastic’s End-of-Life page (https://www.elastic.co/support/eol) states that Elasticsearch 5.6 reached end-of-life on 03/11/2019 and stopped being maintained when 7.0 was released.

We are concerned about installing software that is so far out of date. Is there a timetable for Access to Memory to upgrade to a modern version of Elasticsearch, or alternative software that can be used?”

I assume this would be a problem no matter what Operating System version we are running."

Dan Gillean

Apr 21, 2020, 3:09:04 PM4/21/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for forwarding on this response. I've recently responded to a similar question in this thread:
In short: we're aware that ES 5.6 has reached end of life. We're doing everything we can to get it upgraded, but it's a big project, and with our business model, difficult for us to take on without support from our community. If your institution might be willing to help, either via submitted pull requests or development sponsorship, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Sandra Baird

Apr 21, 2020, 4:29:06 PM4/21/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dan, I think that should adequately answer his question and it's a very fair response. I appreciate your time.
Best,
Sandy